cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 16 - Disk Storage Recommendation

HelloHello
Level 4

Hi,

I'm planning to tune up our backup system. Currently, we have 2 media servers which runs on BE2012 and BE16. All backups are stored on tapes. Now, I'm planning to demote the BE2012 media server (demote also the tape drive) and transfer the backup jobs to BE2016. Since BE2016 has only 1 tape drive which cannot compensate all backup jobs, i'm planning to use Disk Storage for daily and weekly backup. The for monthly backup (which will be used for long term storage), i'm gonna use the tape drive(LTO6).

Can somebody advise me what Disk Storage to use and the type of connection.

Note: Full backup at two media servers is up to 3.6 TB. Differential backup method will be used for daily and weekly backup.

You're response are  highly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

configure dedupe storage folder (which will require a dedupe license for BE and storage optimization can be achieved) or local disk storage and then duplicate to Tape.

Hi @Gurvinder

Thank you for your suggestion (dedupe storage folder). Local Disk at our current Media Server is not enough. Can you suggest another disk storage and it's type of connection to the Media Server?

Thanks!

Gurvinder

DAS , NAS, FC Storage. All should work. refer the backup exec HCL as well 000115688

josef_honc1
Level 3
Partner

As a rule of thumb you would need at least twice the size of full backup for deduplication pool size (with typical GFS scheme and 1 month retention period).  So in your situtation at least 8TB is needed. For this you will need at least 16GB of RAM for BE server.  The storage used for dedup should give at least 150MBps throughput (better 250MBps), so NAS via 1Gbit ethernet is not enough. So you will need 4G FC, or any SAS.  For this scale DAS with SAS connectivity will be cheapest. Keep in mind the performance, so more smaller drives will give you best result. 

I would use RAID6 with minimum 6x 2TB NL-SAS.  This will also give you the required throughput (one NL-SAS gives about 80MBps)

Colin_Weaver

If intending to use a NAS, get one that can be connected to over iSCSI,  as this method is much easier to configure the connection from the BE server and may potentially be a more efficient network protocol than CIFS as well.