cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 20.1 Exchange DAG

RobL216
Level 3

We are trialing Backup Exec for our Exchange 2010 environment whcih has a DAG and four servers.  Two mailbox servers and two CAS servers.  Backup Exec is installed on a Windows Server 2012 R2 server and the Exchange Servers are all Windows Server 2008 R2.

What I want to know is do I just add teh DAG to the backup job or do I need to add each individaul server as seperate backup jobs?

We want to be able to do Disaster Recovery so I need to be able to create a DR disk image of the servers.

Seems a simple thing but just wanted to check if I need to backup each server seperatley. If I do then should I exclude the Exchange Database disk from the individual server backups as they would be done under the DAG backup I imagine.

Thanks for any help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

MilindP
Level 4

Hello Rob,

There are 2 scenarios in this case.

1. Recovering the Exchange environment. [Assuming all or any servers in DAG crash]
  • You will need to backup all servers in the DAG  & Backup Exchange Databases from under selections of DAG added in Backup and Restore tab.
  1. If you would like to recover only Exchange Databases. 
  • Backup Exchange Databases from under selections of DAG added in Backup and Restore tab.

View solution in original post

Hello Rob,

If you would like to backup all 5 Servers which are a part of DAG, you can include all 5 servers in one backup 

If you select a volume that contains Exchange data for backup, the Exchange Agent uses Active File Exclusion to automatically exclude Exchange data that should not be included in a volume-level backup. For example, .EDB and .STM files, as well as transaction log files, should not be part of a volume-level backup because they are opened for exclusive use by Exchange.Without this exclusion, these files appear as in use - skipped during a non-snapshot backup. During a snapshot backup, these files may be backed up in an inconsistent state, which could create restore issues.. For backing up Exchagne Database and logs you would need to backup Exchange DB's from under the DAG backup selections which will only show Databases.

The below link might help you understand:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/59226269-99535599-0/v53933592-99535599

Always happy to answer any doubts you have.

Thanks,

Milind

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MilindP
Level 4

Hello Rob,

There are 2 scenarios in this case.

1. Recovering the Exchange environment. [Assuming all or any servers in DAG crash]
  • You will need to backup all servers in the DAG  & Backup Exchange Databases from under selections of DAG added in Backup and Restore tab.
  1. If you would like to recover only Exchange Databases. 
  • Backup Exchange Databases from under selections of DAG added in Backup and Restore tab.

Hi Milind,

Thanks for the reply.

So if we stick with scenario 1 where I might need to recover everything I have 5 backup jobs.

One for each of the physical servers and one for the DAG.

Would this be correct?

If so do I exclude the Exchange DB disks and Log disks from the 4 physical server backup jobs?

Sorry to ask simple questions but don't want to be backing up the same thins multiple times.

Hello Rob,

If you would like to backup all 5 Servers which are a part of DAG, you can include all 5 servers in one backup 

If you select a volume that contains Exchange data for backup, the Exchange Agent uses Active File Exclusion to automatically exclude Exchange data that should not be included in a volume-level backup. For example, .EDB and .STM files, as well as transaction log files, should not be part of a volume-level backup because they are opened for exclusive use by Exchange.Without this exclusion, these files appear as in use - skipped during a non-snapshot backup. During a snapshot backup, these files may be backed up in an inconsistent state, which could create restore issues.. For backing up Exchagne Database and logs you would need to backup Exchange DB's from under the DAG backup selections which will only show Databases.

The below link might help you understand:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/59226269-99535599-0/v53933592-99535599

Always happy to answer any doubts you have.

Thanks,

Milind