cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Disc Space Usage with VSphere 4.1

Dave_Ramshaw
Level 2

Hi.

I have inherited a Windows 2008 Backup Exec 2010 installation from my predecessor. This is used to backup VM's on our Estate,

I have noticed when looking at the Shortage of Disc Space on the C Drive on one of the Backup Servers that the space is used in the following directory 

"C:\Windows\Temp\vmware-SYSTEM\".

Whilst looking within this directory there are a number of the following files, each as a set of 3 that corresepond with Backup times.

vixmntapi53{4bfd419c-1e64-11e0-ba9b-001185d55529}.TMContainer00000000000000000002.regtrans-ms     512KB

vixmntapi53{4bfd419c-1e64-11e0-ba9b-001185d55529}.TMContainer00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms     512KB

vixmntapi53{4bfd419c-1e64-11e0-ba9b-001185d55529}.TM.blf                                                                   64KB

I assume that this is the VCB element of the Backup Exec backup, but I am not sure whether these files are truely "Temp" or whether these need to remain for the restore process to be successful.

Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dave_Ramshaw
Level 2

Thanks for the comments, I have looked through the C Drive and there is 22Gb used in this directory, far and away the largest folder on C.

Each backup set creates these files so we get maybe 6 sets of these every day, hence the space usage.

I will look to exclude this directory ready for tonight's backup and see what happens. If these are tidied up, then I will look at removing files from this directory.

Thanks for the advice,

Dave

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I doubt that this files will be of any help during restore. These files must be created during the backups but may not have got deleted / cleaned up due to any parameter like the Anti virus locking the files.

Also I do not think that deleting these files will halp you in anyway to resolve the issue that you are facing about Low disk space as those files are just few KB size. So let those files be there.

Try to exclude the TEMP folder from anti virus scanning and then see if those files are deleted during the next backups.

Thanks,

-Sush...

teiva-boy
Level 6

There are a number of default settings that seem to go the temp directories within BackupExec's "Options" section.  You may want to go through those, and change it to a directory that has more space.

Additionally, something like WIndows updates that have been installed can be removed from the Windows Directory too, freeing up GB's of space...

Dave_Ramshaw
Level 2

Thanks for the comments, I have looked through the C Drive and there is 22Gb used in this directory, far and away the largest folder on C.

Each backup set creates these files so we get maybe 6 sets of these every day, hence the space usage.

I will look to exclude this directory ready for tonight's backup and see what happens. If these are tidied up, then I will look at removing files from this directory.

Thanks for the advice,

Dave