cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Error: V-79-57344-850 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State"

Backup-exec_use
Level 3
Partner

Hi there

I am running Backup Exec 2010R3 with all Liveupdates installed on a Server 2008 64-bit.

The backup seems to successfully run through all the data (over 500GB), and then fail on system state. The full message is:-

---------------------
Backup
V-79-57344-850 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE0000352): The specified volume does not exist. Recreate the volume, and then try the job again.
---------------------

I found an article that seems to describe a fix for this problem:- http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136185

Unfortunately, when I get to step 6 I am not sure what to do next:-

1. Download/apply the Related Patch of the above document 980794 from Microsoft and reboot the Server.

2. Open registry editor on the server.
Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system
from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows
registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the
use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the
registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes.

3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SystemWriter

NOTE: If this registry subkey does not exist, please create it manually.

4. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Multi-String Value.

5. Type ExcludedBinaryPaths, and then press ENTER.

6. Right-click ExcludedBinaryPaths, and then click Modify.
 In the Value data box, type all binary paths that should be excluded from the system state backup operation, and then click OK.

NOTE: The binary paths should be absolute paths. They should not include environment variables (such as %windir%) and should not be enclosed in double or single quoation marks.

7. Exit Registry Editor.

8. Run the backup job again.

Where do I find the information to enter into this multi-string value?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup-exec_use
Level 3
Partner

Found this article: TECH129238.

Describes how to use SGMON.EXE to debug what is going wrong.

Modified backup so it was only doing System State. Ran SGMON.EXE, saving output to a file, then ran the modified backup.

Once the backup failed, searched output file for VOLUME_NOT_FOUND. It told me what the problem application was (PaperCut Print Logger) that was causing the failure. Uninstalled the application, then System State backup worked fine. Reverted backup selection to everything.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Example of absolute path - C:\Temp
Example of a non obsolute path - %temp%

The path that you would enter depends on what shows up the job log. It would be nice if you could post the job log.

Have you reviewd and tried these -
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67305
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH125998

Backup-exec_use
Level 3
Partner

Hi Jaydeep

The entries in the log are:-

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Shadow?Copy?Components". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" .

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
V-79-10000-11226 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider selected returned: "Unexpected provider error". Ensure that all provider services are enabled and can be started. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.
The following volumes are dependent on resource: "C:" .

Does this mean I should put "C:" in the multi-string value? Will that mean any vital system components are not backed up?

I had a look at the two articles you mentioned, but neither of them seemed to be the same issue.

Thanks

Backup-exec_use
Level 3
Partner

Found this article: TECH129238.

Describes how to use SGMON.EXE to debug what is going wrong.

Modified backup so it was only doing System State. Ran SGMON.EXE, saving output to a file, then ran the modified backup.

Once the backup failed, searched output file for VOLUME_NOT_FOUND. It told me what the problem application was (PaperCut Print Logger) that was causing the failure. Uninstalled the application, then System State backup worked fine. Reverted backup selection to everything.