Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Hyper-V Agent Needed for Restores

James_MacCallum
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

If I have a backup of a Hyper-V server taken using the BE 2010 Hyper-V Agent and I want to restore the backed up Hyper-V server to another physical host, do I need to have the Hyper-V Agent on the host server I'm restoring to, or will BE 2010 without the Hyper-V agent option allow me to do the restore of the Hyper-V server?

Thanks,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

OK...now it's clearer...even though you would be able to see the data on the tape, because the new server doesn't have the Hyper-V agent license installed, it wouldn't be able to restore into Hyper-V. In this case you need the agent!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Hi,

If you want to run the VM on the server you're restoring too, you'd need the Hyper-V role in Windows to be activated.

As for BE, the Hyper-V agent is a license that simply unlocks the functionality to back up Hyper-V VMs. You can look at doing a redirected restore, but the server you're redirecting the restore too needs to have a RAWS agent installed.

You will end up with the *.vhd files on disk...

Thanks!

James_MacCallum
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

We will actually have a fully licensed version of BE on the server we are restoring to, so its just a question of whether we specifically need the hyper-v agent licensed on this server to allow us to restore the entire hyper-v server?

Thanks,

James

CraigV

Hi James,

if it was a file-level restore to another server, then probably not as you'd end up using RAWS.

If you want to restore a VM from tape/disk to another Hyper-V server, then the target server MUST run RAWS. You'd already have the Hyper-V agent license installed on your current media server which would see Hyper-V on the target!

James_MacCallum
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

But what if we wanted to use the new server to perform the restore (say if the current server was not available). So we'd could put the tape in the new server and catalogue it, but would it see the entire Hyper-V servers and allow us to restore them in full to the new server with out the Hyper-V agent license?

Thanks,

James

CraigV

OK...now it's clearer...even though you would be able to see the data on the tape, because the new server doesn't have the Hyper-V agent license installed, it wouldn't be able to restore into Hyper-V. In this case you need the agent!

James_MacCallum
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Craig thought that was the case.

James