cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Issues

Realmcom
Level 3

Hello,

I have a client with Backup Exec 2010.  I am having two issues, one is the backup fails sometimes and works sometimes.  The other is an update will not install.

1) I have configured the backup to start at 8pm and have a 20-hour time out.  (Successful backup takes 9 hours 20 minutes so there is a lot of extra time there).  The reason for this is sometimes the client might forget about putting the tape in and it used to run for days and days and then I would perform a check and cancel it.  Also that means it will be cancelled in time for the next night's backup to run as scheduled.

So what is happening lately is it seems to run the backup and then spit it out, ask for a tape to be inserted.  I am guessing this is because it wants to verify but if we push the tape back in it just spits it out and doesn't want it.

2) Hotfix 141686 will not install, I have followed a support link and reregistered some DLL files but this did not resolve the issue.

Overall I am not very familiar with Backup Exec software so perhaps if someone could just help me through the basics so I can be sure it is not a simple configuration issue.  The client does have separate USB backups as well so they are at least backing up but the idea is they still want the tapes to backup successfully as well.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

400GB means that you are getting a 2:1 compression ratio which is very difficult to achieve in real life.  A typical compression ratio is 1.2:1 to 1.3:1.  If you managed to get 250Gb onto your tape this means that the tape is very close to the limit.  You have probably crossed the limit and now BE needs a second overwriteable tape, hence the alert.  You got to put in an overwriteable tape for your job to complete.

You can upgrade to R3 in place.  Make a copy of the Data and Catalog directories under the BE installation directory before you do the upgrade.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

What I can suggest for issue #1 is to go into the Job Monitor tab and see what the alert is prompting you to do...if it is a Verify job, it should accept that tape and run the Verify. If it is spanning onto a second tape, this will be confirmed.

For #2, are you using LiveUpdate or a manual install of the HF? If using 1 or the other, try the other method...ie. if using LiveUpdate, try manually installing it and vice versa. Otherwise redownload the patch and try to install it.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

So what is happening lately is it seems to run the backup and then spit it out, ask for a tape to be inserted.  I am guessing this is because it wants to verify but if we push the tape back in it just spits it out and doesn't want it.

It could be that the tape is full and BE requires a second overwriteable tape.  Check the alerts when the tape is ejected to see what is required.

2) Hotfix 141686 will not install, I have followed a support link and reregistered some DLL files but this did not resolve the issue.

Did you install SP1 first?  BE 2010 is 2 releases behind.  I would suggest that you upgrade to BE 2010 R3. Your existing licence keys will work.  You can download BE 2010 R3 from either the fileconnect site or www.backupexec.com

Realmcom
Level 3

Please insert overwritable media into the drive. Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media. Respond Yes to acknowledge. Respond No to retry the operation. Respond Cancel to cancel the operation.

This is the message we are getting every 15 minutes by email alert.  Does this mean the tapes might be write protected or something?

Backup tapes take 200GB native and 400GB compressed, and the last successful backup was about 250GB.  Checking everything out now the servers have definitely not expanded past 400GB limit.

I will try and manually install the Hotfix and see what happens then.  Also for the upgrade to BE 2010 R3, can I just perform an in-place upgrade?  Or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

Realmcom
Level 3

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH141686 

According to this page I need to update the DLO clients, is that correct?  Basically we have three servers that are being backed up (not any workstation computers) so I need to run the links down the very bottom on the respective servers, then try the hotfix again.

Does this sound right?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

400GB means that you are getting a 2:1 compression ratio which is very difficult to achieve in real life.  A typical compression ratio is 1.2:1 to 1.3:1.  If you managed to get 250Gb onto your tape this means that the tape is very close to the limit.  You have probably crossed the limit and now BE needs a second overwriteable tape, hence the alert.  You got to put in an overwriteable tape for your job to complete.

You can upgrade to R3 in place.  Make a copy of the Data and Catalog directories under the BE installation directory before you do the upgrade.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.  You would need to update the DLO clients after applying the hotfix if you are using DLO.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Er...are you using DLO to backup those servers? If so, it's a real cheap way to do so and I'd rather buy the RAWS agents for them...it's going to save you a lot of headache...

Realmcom
Level 3

A second tape finished the backup successfully.  I have never known that we would not be able to hit the 2:1 compression ratio (never experienced a client have backup tapes this full before).

Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

To expand on Craig's reply a little

DLO does NOT grab any system files.  All it does is backup user data.  As such, in no way shape or form should it be considered as a Disaster Recovery solution