cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Pre-Command syntax

Jim_Hanke
Level 2
Hello All, I am not finding anything definative in documentation or forums, sorry if I missed something obvious. When defining a pre-command, if there are spaces in your path or BAT file name, is it required to put the command in quotes? I assume the same is true for a post-command. Example of Pre-Command: C:\Backup Exec Commands\01 - Monday_data.bat My backup failed last night since the pre-command must complete successfully before the backup will proceed. The error message says "Error (2): They system cannot find the file specified." Before I experience the same problem tonight, do I need to put my command in quotes? My thoughts are "it could be the spaces" and "it could be the hyphen". Thank you for your input! Jim.
4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
When defining a pre-command, if there are spaces in your path or BAT file name, is it required to put the command in quotes?

I beleive it is the cmd interpreter that  requires anyhing with spaces in it to be enclosed in quotes.

You should be able to test this.  Place the command string in quotes, then logon as the BE Service Account and see if it processes

Jim_Hanke
Level 2
I put the entire command in quotes.  The BAT file still does not run.

I have two different backup job sets. One for data and one for email.
The nearly identical BAT file in the same location for the data backups runs as it should. Only the BAT file for the email backup job fails.

I have been on hold for tech support for well over an hour.

Suggestions?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Hmm

You could tru

------------------
C:
CD\ "Backup Exec Commands"
01 - Monday_data.bat
-------------

logon to the media server as the BackupExec service account and try executing it so you can see exactly where it is failing

Jim_Hanke
Level 2
The "service account" is the user account that the service is running under, right?

If that is true, that IS the account I have been using.  The account is a member of the "domain administrators" group and the only account used on the server.  For a test, I did go to the folder at a command prompt and can execute the batch file just fine.

The weird part is half of the batch files work and half are not seen as even existing.
It is like I have a typo in the path or file name.

To make 100% sure that is not the case, I have used the handy "copy" and "paste" feature in Windows for every path and every file name to rule out a possible typo.

Very perplexing.