cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 & Qauntum Superloader 3: Lack of Compression on Full Backups (ratio 1:1)

chudless
Level 4

I had issues with a pre-existing BExec installation and tape drive so I basically ripped it all out and re-installed from scratch. It is now working wonderfully, except for one major issue - I cannot get any compression when backing up to tapes, whereas an identical install and config at another of our sites gets 2:1 compression regularly.

Additional Info:

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Sp1 with all Hotfixes

Using Symantec drivers within Bexec.

Quantum Superloader 3 has latest firmware and runs without issue.

The servers being backed up range from File & Print, to Exchange, to App Servers (all virual running on VMWare 5).

I have tried pretty much every suggestion I can find on the net but am still at a loss, and it's quite critical to resolve this as my tapes are getting eaten up.

The only difference I see on the 2 sites is backup speeds; at the site that gives compression the backups often regist over 4Gb/min whereas at the problematic site I can only achieve 1.5Gb/min - it's ample, but curious why such a difference?

Someone please help!!!

Many thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I'd like to get your configuration so I can also get 2:1...that's great! wink

Is compression turned on on the device on your problematic site? Have you tried alternating between software/hardware compression on this site? What sort of data are you backing up, and is your firmware on the SCSI card turned on?

Thanks!

chudless
Level 4

Yes it is, both on the firmware of the tape device and in Symantec.

I've tried alternating as you ask, no effect.

Data ranges from standard office files, to exchange db's and varioius apps (at the good site, it's a mirror image and backs up all data without issue, with compression).

Using SAS and yes, all is ok on that side.

Thanks

CraigV

Try uninstalling the BE device drivers, and after a server restart reload them...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For the problem site, check that your Quantum library is listed in the Windows Device Manager as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver.  If it has a Quantum driver, change it using the procedure below.

How to uninstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer driver for the medium changer in a robotic libr...

How to uninstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer driver for the medium changer in a robotic libr...

chudless
Level 4

Thanks PKH, but already done that with no success.

chudless
Level 4

Tried that to no avail.

CraigV

...only other things I can advise are to check the tapes on the problem site and see if they have multiple hard write errors. If so, try a backup with a new tape and post the results.

Lastly, if you're running Server 2003, stop the BE services and try a backup using NTbackup and see what sort of compression you get.

chudless
Level 4

Tapes are good, no errors. Tried many many tapes.

Running 2008.