cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Quick Start Server Edition Availability

saberman
Level 4
Is Backup Exec 2010 Quick Start Server Edition available directly from Symantec? Is there an upgrade from Backup Exec 12.5 Quick Start Server Edition to Backup Exec 2010 Quick Start Server Edition available directly from Symantec?
9 REPLIES 9

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You can download it from the following link
http://www.symantec.com/business/products/newfeatures.jsp?pcid=pcat_business_cont&pvid=57_1
click on trailwarte and download .
You can run the set up as fresh install or an upgrade .
When you upgrade from 12.5 to 2010 you would need the new license for BE 2010 .
You can use it in evalaution untill get the license key

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just as a comment the installler for the Quickstart Edition and the installer for the Full Edition are the same - what makes the difference is the serial number you enter when you install

saberman
Level 4
I cannot find any information on that page about ordering a Backup Exec 2010 Quick Start Server Edition license directly from Symantec.  What is the cost and how does one order it?

If I purchase a tape drive that comes with a Backup Exec 12.5 Quick Start Server Edition license do I get a free upgrade to the 2010 version or do I have to pay for the upgrade and if so how much?

saberman
Level 4
So how do I setup the Trial version so it behaves in the Quickstart Edition mode?  There isn't any point in using the Trial version to develop a backup strategy only to find it doesn’t work after you enter a QucikStart license because of restricted functionality.

Colin_Weaver

You can't setup the trial edition so it behaves like Quickstart.

Also Symantec do not directly sell the Quickstart edition - it is sold with hardware by hardware vendors as an OEM edition for the hardware vendors - it is also supported by the hardware vendor not by Symantec (althiough obviously the hardware vendor does work with Symantec in the background)

If you use the trial edition to backup anything other than the server it is running on - or to backup databases then you may well be going outside of what the Quickstart edition offers so yes it would be a bad idea to base a strategy on the Trial Edition if you know you are going to buy Quickstart - unless you have a budget for a full edition along with agents and options if you find you need something from the full edition

saberman
Level 4
>Also Symantec do not directly sell the Quickstart edition - it is sold with hardware by hardware vendors as an OEM edition

If I purchase a tape drive that comes with a Backup Exec 12.5 Quick Start Server Edition license do I get a free upgrade to the 2010 version or do I have to pay for the upgrade and if so how much?

>it is also supported by the hardware vendor not by Symantec

Does that mean I would have to get the upgrade from the hardware vendor if I buy a tape drive bundled with Backup Exec 2010 Quick Start Server Edition and not from Symantec?  The hardware vendor would have to be the one to supply the upgrade license key?

saberman
Level 4

Is there a comparison of the features in the full edition and the features in the quick start edition  -- or at least a list of features in the quick start edition?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I don't think there is such a list.  Often there are debates in this forum regarding what the Quickstart Edition can or cannot do.  The Quickstart Edition has only bare-bones functionality.

Colin_Weaver
 No Matter what edition of Backup Exec a customer might be running, they are only eligible for a free upgrade with the correct maintenance agreement - however as the Quickstart Edition is a cheap bundled edition I would be amazed if you have a maintenance agreement on it as that would typically be sold to customers running the full edition as it adds to the costs.

ANSWER: All Quickstart licenses (upgrade or otherwise) would have to come from the hardware vendor - however you could contact our customer care (sales/licencing) teams to ask about the costs of upgrading a 12.5 Quickstart to a 2010 Full Edition.