cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 Daily GRT Exchange 2010 SP1 Backup Fails

Jason_Th
Level 2

I'm running a backup of our Exchange 2010 environment that consists of two mailbox databases. Both are being backed up using GRT backups following Symantec's best practices using Backup Exec 2010 R2.

My weekly and monthly backups succeed without error.

My daily backups (which are using the exact same policy) fail every single day with the following error:

(Server: "<Media Server>") (Job: "Exchange 2010 Complete Backup-Exchange Backups - 3:00AM-Daily GRT Backup") Exchange 2010 Complete Backup-Exchange Backups - 3:00AM-Daily GRT Backup -- The job failed with the following error: Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.

I've deleted the daily job and recreated to no avail. I'm not sure what would be the next recommended task? This would be a lot easier if my weekly and monthly jobs were failing, but they run without error - which I'm thankful for, so my log volumes don't fill up. :)

The log reports that there is a corrupt log file.

Backup- \\<Exchange Server>\Microsoft Information Store\MailboxDatabase1
V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options. The following error was returned when opening the Exchange Database file: '-501 The log file is corrupt. '

But again, I'm not sure why the weekly and monthly backups run without running into this corrupt log file.

10 REPLIES 10

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Is your daily exchange backup scheduled and conflicting with exchange maintenance window?

Are you running any other backup of the exchange like BESR or any other software backing up the same exchange.

Is you monthly and weekly also GRT backups or not?

All the backups going to tape or disk?

Jason_Th
Level 2

Hello Sazz, I apologize for the delay - I though I had notify by email enabled for this thread.

I am running GRT on all three types of backups (daily, weekly, and monthly) and all of them are D2D2T.

I'm checking my daily maintenance schedules - I may be hitting those on the daily backups.... good idea.

I'll report back when I have more info.

CompOp-FCNY
Not applicable

I'm getting this same error in a BE2010/Exch2010 environment, backing up to disk.

Perhaps one out of of every ten backups runs clean, but otherwise both full and differential backups produce the same error Jason is seeing.

If there is a resolution for this, please update.

Thanks.

Jason_Th
Level 2

Problem with BEWS 2010 R2 continues to exist. My weekly backup jobs complete with success, while daily full backups continue to fail.

I have nuked everything about the jobs, including the selection lists and rebuilt the backup from scratch to no avail. I have even moved the backup time to 8:00 PM local time when our environment is not used and no maintenance is running.

ScottL
Level 3

I get the same error. Backing up Exchange 2010 SP1 on Server 2008r2 (DAG set up and letting BE choose the best copy).

I have found that if I uncheck the "enable background database maintenance (24 x 7 ESE scanning)" option for the database and then the run the backup that it completes successfullly. i'm not sure if this is a bug (assume so), but maybe we can figure out a way to have the job disable this option at start and then re-enable it after completion.

never used the pre/post commands in BE, but it looks very simple. will create pre/post powershell scripts on the exchange servers and have them turn this option off and then back on when the job runs. i don't like hokey business like that, but if it's the only way....

edit: "set-mailboxdatabase -backgrounddatabasemaintenance $false" requires a re-mount of the database. not sure this was the best way to go after all....any ideas?

YardiBrian
Not applicable

I am having this same issue, has anyone found a fix?  I would prefer to leave the Background Database Maintenance on if at all possible and I do not have the option of unmounting the databases very often.

I am running Exchange 2010 SP1 on Windows 2008r2 with DAG

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Hello Jason,

I'd like some more information on this to try and figure out what is going on.

1) What is the destination for disk backup? local or NAS? RAID or Non-RAID? this could be GRT related, try a local NTFS, non-RAID volume for starters if that is not the case.

2) When this job fails, on the Exchange server do you see any events from ESE or from VSS in the application job? If yes, check for the log file name and number, ensure that file exists and that there are no consistency issues within the databases.

3) Ensure that Live Update is run and the Agent is up to date on the Exchange server.

Could you please get a RAWS debug from the remote server? and an SGMON from the media server?

Thank You.

jon090701
Not applicable

I am also having the same issue with BEWS 2010 R2 and Exchange 2010 SP1 DAG on 2008 R2.

I notice that in event viewer the ESE engine believes that the backup completes successfully but BEWS does not think so. This is on daily full backups with GRT enabled. The only thing I haven't tried is disabling the background database maintanence, which I will test tonight.

All 4 of my databases are in a clean shutdown state, and NTBackup works fine.

neigsti
Level 3

RahulG,

I am experiencing the same problems as the other posters.  I have enable -debug on the remote agent and have launched SGMON on the media server monitoring the job engine and the backup exec server.  Are there other paramters you would like me to turn on/off or filtering of the the ouput?

I will attach the requested logs after the backup jobs run tonight.

I am able to get this error to disappear for ~5 days of nightly backups if I shuffle the mounted stores between the two DAG servers.  In otherwords, if "staff2" store is causing problems and is currently mounted on mbox2, I can move the active copy to mbox1 and back to mbox2 and the backups run without complaint for 4-5 days.

Thanks in advance for your help.

//nathan

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Can you open a new thread for this so that we work on this

Thank You