cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 Database Instance

BEAdminGC
Level 2

Greetings,

I have recently run into a kind of odd occurence. When I run diagnostics on my BE 2010 R2 server I come up with the database server being correct, but Database instance being blank. Now I know that there was a procedure on here that required an edit of the registry, but I would like to avoid that if at all possible. Would the database instance really be a problem? Or is it for something else entirely?

Thanks.

Ethan

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Have you tried to repair the BEDB using beutility.exe?

I have not. I was unsure since when you run Beutility.exe it says "don't run unless directed by Symantec" Kinda turned me away from it.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If someone installed BE into a custom SQL instance instead of the default one then the first SQL instance installed on a server often is unnamed and this would not directly affect the opperation of BE (but might affect some upgrade scenarios)

Is BE working?

It appears to be working. I can't start the DLO service, and incremental backups run, but differential and full backups error out. They keep trying to connect to my mail server, but that server is not in their job configurations. If I installed remote agent on that server would the jobs run then?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

OK whilst DLO was part of BE in that version, it is really a separate product and does not have the full, incremental, differential concept for backup operations that traditonal Backup Exec jobs do. DLO is just a method to pull desktop/laptop end user data back to a network location and maintain revisions (as backups) if needed 

If you are having problems woth DLO there is a separate forum that it is better to ask questions in - although if you are not actually using DLO then the fact the service is not starting might be unimportant.

If you are having problems with traditional Backup Exec full and differential backups but incrementals work, then you should probably create a new thread/post describing any error messages and symptoms

You should also be aware that BE 2010 (all revisions) is now End of Support due to how old it is.  So whilst you can still get advice and maybe answers via these forums, formal assistence for this version is no longer available.