cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 Exchange 2010 single mailbox/file restore problem (GRT)

MiTu
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

I have two Windows 2008 R2 servers. Backup server where Backup Exec is installed and Exchange 2010 server where the Backup Agent is installed (I have Exchange agent license). Backup Exec server has all latest updates installed and Exchange server has also updated agent installed. Backup job seems to be ok, no errors and verify result is ok. I'm using GRT to backup Exchange data. All the requirements for GRT backup should be ok. Backup/Restore Account has Domain Admin rights.

Problem arises when I'm trying to restore Single mailbox/single mailbox file from Exchange backup. I get allways the same error:

Job completion status:

Job ended: 10. marraskuuta 2011 at 9:56:45
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000ff00 - Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted, or because the recovery storage group or recovery database is not properly configured. Use the Exchange System Manager or Exchange Management Console to check the configuration of the recovery storage group or recovery database and the mount status of the databases.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65280

Errors:

Restore- \\Exchange.domain.local\Microsoft Information Store\MDB01 Exchange

V-79-57344-65280 - Unable to restore the selected Microsoft Exchange databases because one or more of the storage group's databases are mounted.  Use the Exchange System Manager to dismount all the databases for the storage group 'MDB01', and then retry the job.

V-79-57344-65217 - An error occurred while completing the operation on \\Exchange.domain.local\Microsoft Information Store\MDB01

A failure occurred performing the post-restore operation.

I have also tried to put "dismount database before restore" option to restore job. Then restore completes ok, but nothing appears in mailbox (no data restored)?! Exchange backup agents main idea should be that I can restore when database is online? I haven't had ever any problems with Exchange 2000/2003 & Backup Exec. New GRT technology seems to be problem here?

Can anyone give any advise, I have tried everything without luck?

- Mika

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

3 things:

1. Make sure you comply with the requirements for the BESA account to have proper access to Exchange 2010 in the TN below. You're only interested in the requirements, so ignore the error in the TN:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124615

2. Make sure you have the Exchange Management Tools installed, and that they are patched to the same level as your Exchange server. The RMT must be installed on your backup server if it isn't the Exchange server.

3. Upgrade to BE 2010 R3 and patch via LiveUpdate. SP1 is out, so you need to install that and the additional 4 updates thereafter. Once done, do a push-install to your remote servers, and then try the restore again.

Thanks! 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Hello,

This Would Be due to the Recovery storage group Configured , Check if the RSG is configured from Exchange management console.

Alos when You said Dismount Database before restore, The restore was succesfull.. What was the byte Coutn for the restore.

Is this from a tape based Backup or Disk Based backup that You trying to restore.

Regards,

Arul

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you looekd ta http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH145171 ?

MiTu
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

The RSG feature shouldn't be available anymore in Exchange 2010? There isn't also any Recovery Database created (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876954%28EXCHG.140%29.aspx). 

It's tape based backup which I'm trying to restore. Restore jobs byte count was: 730 252 516

- Mika

MiTu
Level 4
Partner

VJware:

I'm logged in, but:

The URL you've tried isn't returning content. There are two possibilities:

• There is no article associated with this URL. Try searching our Knowledge Base.

• The article is protected and requires you to be signed into an authorized account to read it. Sign In with your SymAccount
  •  

•  
  •  

CraigV

Hi,

3 things:

1. Make sure you comply with the requirements for the BESA account to have proper access to Exchange 2010 in the TN below. You're only interested in the requirements, so ignore the error in the TN:

2. Make sure you have the Exchange Management Tools installed, and that they are patched to the same level as your Exchange server. The RMT must be installed on your backup server if it isn't the Exchange server.

3. Upgrade to BE 2010 R3 and patch via LiveUpdate. SP1 is out, so you need to install that and the additional 4 updates thereafter. Once done, do a push-install to your remote servers, and then try the restore again.

Thanks! 

MiTu
    Level 4
    Partner

Hi GraigV!

I read http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124615 article and everything should be ok, but I was wondering how can I setup this permission in Exchange?:

"7. Give the new user the relevant rights and also activate the mailbox by sending and receiving mail. "

Here is print of BESA users account permissions in Exchange Server:

The user is a part of the following security groups
        ---------------------------------------------------
            Domain Admins
            Everyone
            BUILTIN\Administrators
            BUILTIN\Backup Operators
            BUILTIN\Users
            REMOTE INTERACTIVE LOGON
            NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE
            NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
            This Organization
            LOCAL
            Organization Management
            Denied RODC Password Replication Group
            High Mandatory Level

I have installed also Exchange Management Tools in Backup Server and patch level is same on both servers. I didn's understand clearly what does this mean:

"The RMT must be installed on your backup server if it isn't the Exchange server."  Do you mean Exchange Management Tools?

- Mika

CraigV

3. The BESA should be assigned the Exchange Full Administrators\ Organization Management role in Exchange System Manager\ Exchange Management Console. <-- that gets done through AD Users and Computers.

To activate the mailbox, send a mail to the service account's mail address you have created in AD, or you should have 1. If not, create 1. Send the mail, log onto that service account's mailbox using Outlook or Outlook Web Access which activates it. Once the mail is received, send a blank reply...the mailbox is now active!

MiTu
    Level 4
    Partner

"3. The BESA should be assigned the Exchange Full Administrators\ Organization Management role in Exchange System Manager\ Exchange Management Console. <-- that gets done through AD Users and Computers."

My BESA account is already in "Organization Management" group. It's the same thing like Exchange Full Administrator role in Exchange 2003 and the Exchange Organization Administrators role in Exchange 2007. Permission should be ok?

"To activate the mailbox, send a mail to the service account's mail address you have created in AD, or you should have 1. If not, create 1. Send the mail, log onto that service account's mailbox using Outlook or Outlook Web Access which activates it. Once the mail is received, send a blank reply...the mailbox is now active!"

I have two emails already in BESA account mailbox (which I did send there before), but I haven't send reply to any of these mails before. Now I did send reply so mailbox should be activated?

I didn' have SP1 installed in Backup Exec..I will install it and rest of other update..let's see what happens..

- Mika

ArulPrasad
    Level 6
    Employee

Yes and No!!

The RSG feature is replaced with Recovery database.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd876954.aspx

And How many servers are involved (DAG, CAS and Hub servers in the exchange) ?

And ensure to have remote agent On all the servers.

Run a Duplicate job to disk and Run the restore from Disk.

Regards,

Arul

MiTu
    Level 4
    Partner

Now it'ts working!!!

I installed SP1 and all other updates. I also modified System Logon Account like it's mentioned in following document:

6. Make sure the BESA and the System Logon account are same.

Before I had separate System Logon Account and BESA account. BESA account was default account and type was common (not restricted). I modified accounts (now I have only one account) and it's shown like this in "Logon Account Management":

Account Name: System Logon Account

Username: domain\BESA_accountname

Default: Yes

Type: Common

Owner: domain\administrator

Many thanks to everyone who helped! Specially to Graigv!

- Mika