cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 + Hyper-V Cluster = 1 VM Won't Backup

BackupExec_Us1
Level 3

Backup Exec 2010 R2 x64 on physical Windows 2008 Enterprise x64 box.
Hyper-V 2008 Server R2 <core> hosts x 2 in a failover cluster.
Backup Exec Hyper-V Agents installed on hosts, RAWS installed on VMs.
Problem VM is running Windows 2003R2 SP2 x64 Enterprise. File server role only w/an instance of MSDE 2000. KB904418 hotfix is installed. Has latest <13.4164> BE 2010 R2 RAWS installed.

I can backup numerous VMs from the cluster successfully. Just one VM <let's call it VM1> refuses to backup. When I was testing this a while back, VM1 backed up successfully just once. Since then it has failed every time. If I include it in a job w/other VMs, the other VMs backup just fine but the job fails on VM1. If I create a job with just VM1, it still fails. BE test jobs for VM1 run fine though.

No VSS errors on VM1 event log. No VSS errors on the host event log.

However, there is VSS issue evidence that shows up on the host that VM1 resides on, let's call it host1 and on VM1. Post failed backup job on host1, running a "vssadmin list writers" shows the Hyper-V VSS writer to be in a stable but retryable state. However, I can continue to run other VM backups that also live on host1 and it will work just fine even in that state. Have rebooted host1 and VM1 numerous times.

When I run "vssadmin list writers" on VM1, it shows the following three writers w/a state of "Failed" and Last Error: No Error

System Writer
FSRM Writer
WMI Writer

I did come across this topic: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/ ... 64-hyper-v

But it was different in that *all* his Windows VMs on that host were failing. I didn't think the VSS re-reg process would be applicable since my host had other VMs on it that backed up OK, which seems to mean that the host VSS process was fine. Since I was out of options though, I tried the fix anyway. I tested VM1 again and it still fails.

Backup Exec job log showed this error:

Backup- host1 -79-57344-65233 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "VRTSRV::\\Cluster FQDN\Hyper-V?HA?VM\VM1". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Microsoft Hyper-V, Writer ID: {66841CD4-6DED-4F4B-8F17-FD23F8DDC3DE}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Waiting for backup complete notification (5).

Another good resource for troubleshooting VSS that I found but didn't uncover anything in my case: http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/arch ... rrors.aspx

Any suggestions/thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

BackupExec_Us1
Level 3

That's the same post I have linked in my original message. I tried that on host1 and rebooted but the same issue occurs. I'm starting to think it's the VM but not sure what else to try.

mmeeggaann
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Any update about this issue?