cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 + Quantum LTO-5 Super Loader

R-TEK_LTD
Level 2

Hi,

We have Backup Exec 2010 R2 (attaached screen dump of version + licence installs) that came as a bundle with our Quantum LTO-5 Super Loader tape drive. I’m looking at a way to create jobs so that Backup Exec uses the correct tape in the magazine for that particular day/job. At the moment it seems as though Backup Exec will take the tape with the most recent allocated date assigned to it.

I’m not sure if this functionality is possible with this release of Backup Exec.

Can you advise if possible, how to create automated jobs please?

Thanks

Stephen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Best bet for the latest support etc. is to upgrade to BE 2012 with SP1a. BUT...it is a massive paradigm shift in the way it all works, so get hold of the trialware and run it for a while to get used to it. The major changes are in the GUI and a move towards a server-centric (each server gets its own backup job!) backup approach. If you have 1 server, it should be fine.

Otherwise, find out from Symantec if you can purchase BE 2012 licenses and then get them downgraded to BE 2010 R3. This will allow you to install the software and configure the backups. It then gives you the opportunity to upgrade to BE 2012 R2 when it is released.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

The QuickStart Edition is a very cut-down version of Backup Exec 2010.

If you can, see if you can upgrade to BE 2010 R3 (or if you want to go this route, BE 2012 with SP1a).

You can create individual jobs with their own media sets (very clumsy); partition the autoloader (it will work but if you need to span a second tape, the job will fail) and direct jobs on a per-day basis at each individual slot; or make sure that the Append/OPP settings on your media sets are correct. In this way, when the tape's protection period is up, it would theoretically be available on the next week's backup run on the same day.

But, read pkh's excellent article on this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

Thanks!

R-TEK_LTD
Level 2

Hi,

So which would you recommend i upgrade too? I guess the upgrades are not free?

I thought if the s/w came with the superloader it must have been capable of autoloading etc.

thanks

Stephen

CraigV

Best bet for the latest support etc. is to upgrade to BE 2012 with SP1a. BUT...it is a massive paradigm shift in the way it all works, so get hold of the trialware and run it for a while to get used to it. The major changes are in the GUI and a move towards a server-centric (each server gets its own backup job!) backup approach. If you have 1 server, it should be fine.

Otherwise, find out from Symantec if you can purchase BE 2012 licenses and then get them downgraded to BE 2010 R3. This will allow you to install the software and configure the backups. It then gives you the opportunity to upgrade to BE 2012 R2 when it is released.

Thanks!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Infact, Quickstart does support autoloader and single tape drive within the autoloader. Also supports n number of standalone drives. 

Main thing to note is, this comes free with the purchase of autoloader. Hense no support from Symantec.

(Main intention to supply this is to test the tape devices after powering on. For symantec, as the user installs the software and uses it for some days to check the tape devices he might get intrested in buying it.)

EDIT: Refer to this TN why an upgrade is recommended: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61008

You cannot install agents on any remote machines, only data on backup server can be backed up.