cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 and Hyper-V Cluster

Gerald_Anderson
Level 2

Hi All,

I am just needing to confirm (assuming someone knows, or can point me to the article?) how BE2010 transfers data from a Hyper-V cluster to its local backup storage.

Does all of the network traffic go through the currently 'master' Hyper-V host, or will it make a backend connection directly to the host from BE server to transfer the VM as its snapshot directly?

I have a 5 node cluster, and the performance during a parrallel backup is poor and I believe it may be related to the networking side (only 1GB unfortunately).

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Gerald,

Best bet here is to get hold of the BE 2010 Admin guide on the link below, and read from pg. 1145.

The section on Hyper-V explains how it all works, which is obviously what you're looking for.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77887

Thanks!

Gerald_Anderson
Level 2

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the reply.

I have already been through and read the administrators guide, but it doesn't actually say how the process of backing up a VM through Hyper-V - it tells me how to set it up, but not the process the system uses to get the data from point A to point B.

I rang pre-sales support but they weren't able to help me at the time - nor was the technical support.

Jason