cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 hangs and Firewall blocks backup of SQL 2008 R2 Database

Bigbeargrrr
Level 3

Hi All,

I am running Backup Exec 2010 R2. My problem is when I run a backup Job to backup an SQL 2008 R2 database on a Win 2008 R2 Server I get "communication error e000ff19 - A communications failure has occurred with a SQL Server resource.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65305

I know this is a Firewall issue on the SQL Server I am trying to backup since it worked fine when I turned off the Firewall.

Can anyone help advising which ports and rules I need to create to successfully backup this Database.

Many thanks,

R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I'd still recommend not using AOFO, and this is in the Admin Guide somewhere...if you need to use AOFO and are backing up normal data and DBs, then consider splitting them off rather...

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

CraigV

Hi,

Check the Symantec TN below for which ports to open on the firewall:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH49563

Post back with an update...

Thanks!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO22990

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49563

Bigbeargrrr
Level 3

Thanks All but It's really not clear which direction the ports should be opened and whether it's an inbound or outbound rule I need to apply...

CraigV

I'd open both as it is pretty much 2-way communication between the media server and the remote server.

Colin_Weaver

The NDMP Control (10,000) and Data (configurable range of) ports are outbound from media server and inbound to remote server.

The Remote Agent Advertising Port (6101) is outbound from remote server to media server

Not sure exactly what other ports mnight be needed for SQL specifically.

Bigbeargrrr
Level 3

Thanks All.

Here is the update

I have it working when I allow the dynamic range 1025-65520 on the SQL server but obviously I just want to open 15 or so ports.

Have tried 65520-65535 and it failed. Now I just tried 10,000-10,015 andf it failed. Have these TCP rules in both directions on the SQL server and I have no firewall on the Server that the Backup Exec is installed.

MMM seems I need to experiment a bit more.

sbora
Level 6

After opening the ports in the firewall you need to specify those ports in Backup Exec under "Tools-Options-Network and Security- Enable remote agent TCP dynamic port range". 

If you have opened port 10000 - 10015 then specify port 10001 - 10014 in the above location.

Note that this is a global setting and will be applicable for all your backup jobs.

Bigbeargrrr
Level 3

Thanks Sbora.

I opened up ports 10000-10015 on the SQL server and as you said above I specified these ports in Backup Exec in the remote agent dynamic port range.

Unfortunately my backup failed with the following errors:

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\serverxx\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group". Ad...

Can you advise what the best options are for AOFA ?What should I select as the snapshot provider ?I had selected allow VSS to select the provider ?

Thank you

CraigV

Don't use AOFO when backing up DBs...rather let BE use Windows's VSS to do the backup...

sbora
Level 6

I think the job used MS VSS only as the error talks about MS VSS.

Can you please check what errors are generated in event viewer when the backup failed?

No need to select AOFO Option as suggested by CraigV however in case you want to, then select the default option which is to "Automatically select open file technology". It will by default be MS VSS based backup only.

CraigV

I'd still recommend not using AOFO, and this is in the Admin Guide somewhere...if you need to use AOFO and are backing up normal data and DBs, then consider splitting them off rather...

Bigbeargrrr
Level 3

Ok I turned off the AOFO on the backup job. However although it was selected it successfully backup up my exchange and sql databases without a problem. That is until now when I have introduced the new Sql Server into the equation.

Thanks again

CraigV

Try doing a redirected restore after running a backup using AOFO and it won't run properly. Using AOFO brings a bunch of "funnies" into the mix when you least expect it when used to back up DBs.

sbora
Level 6

AOFO is not recommended for Exchange 2003 due to limitation with snapshot backup of Exchange 2003 like Restore to RSG not possible, Redirected restore not possible, etc...

However if you are backing up Exchange 2007/2010 then selecting AOFO or not will not matter as the backup has to be VSS backup and this backup does not have above limirations. However with AOFO you need to select "Automatically select the snapshot technology" or explicitly use MS VSS.