Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 misses restore sessions

mars_ltd
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

I have a strange problem regarding a BE restore rob. I need to restore a file from the 23rd of April, where a  full backup job of our fileserver has run successful. But I can't see the according session (with date) to restore the files. There is a huge gap between April 11th and April 25th, although successful backup Jobs have run at that time, according to the log. See attached screenshot for my restore job settings. Is there something I'm missing? Perhaps a filter setting?

Thanks and regards

mars

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Filter should be fine according to your screenshot. It looks like the media used in the jobs between 11th and 25th had been overwritten in the meantime or some catalogs might be corrupt.

Look in the job log of the successful job you want to restore, expand the options until you see the media which was used in this job. Go to the media tab, search for this media, right click and select "restore data". In the new window you'll see which data is present on the media according to the catalogs.

If there is some error like media is not inside the catalogs you should run a manual catalog of this medium (right click), if there are more recent backups present it unfortunately indicates that the media might be  overwritten.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Filter should be fine according to your screenshot. It looks like the media used in the jobs between 11th and 25th had been overwritten in the meantime or some catalogs might be corrupt.

Look in the job log of the successful job you want to restore, expand the options until you see the media which was used in this job. Go to the media tab, search for this media, right click and select "restore data". In the new window you'll see which data is present on the media according to the catalogs.

If there is some error like media is not inside the catalogs you should run a manual catalog of this medium (right click), if there are more recent backups present it unfortunately indicates that the media might be  overwritten.

mars_ltd
Level 3
Partner

Hi Simon,

thanks for the uber-quick reply! Yes, from what I can see, it really seems that way, that the current media in use was the same one which was used for backup two weeks ago and thus BE has overwritten the old data. Bummer...

I suppose there has been a human failure in media rotation...that wasn't according to concept...

Anyways, your help is very appreciated, thanks a lot!

Regards

mars

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I suppose there has been a human failure in media rotation...that wasn't according to concept...

You may need to take a look at how long you want to keep data and adjust the OPP(s) for the Media Set(s) involved