cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Errors in middle of backup

Froy
Level 2

I recently upgraded to BE 2010 R3 on a 2008 R2 Standard 64bit and I am now getting errors in the middle of my backups.  I only backup to tape using a Dell Tape Library TL2000 LTO5.

The Windows logs are getting multiple Backup Exec EventID 33152 errors:

[8380] 05/31/11 23:14:26 Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 00:00:00:00 - Retry Logic: Retry logic was engaged on device: IBM ULT3580-HH5

%2

%3

%4

%5

%6

%7

%8

[8380] 05/31/11 23:14:26 Adamm Mover Error: DeviceIo: 05:00:00:00 - Refresh handle on "\\.\Tape0", SCSI cmd 00, new handle 684, error 0

%2

%3

%4

%5

%6

%7

%8

Then I get these errors:

Storage device "IBM 0001" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:

0x17.

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Backup Exec
Date:          6/1/2011 12:22:09 AM
Event ID:      65314
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      WA-IS01.pcclaims.com
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Tape Alert Error
(Server: "WA-IS01") (Job: "BackupDaily_Enterprise") Job 'BackupDaily_Enterprise' has reported Multiple Tape Alerts on Server 'WA-IS01'.  Please refer to job log BEX_WA-IS01_00469.xml for more details.

Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed

(Server: "WA-IS01") (Job: "BackupDaily_Enterprise") BackupDaily_Enterprise -- The job failed with the following error: A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive. Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again. If the problem persists, try a different tape. You may also need to check for problems with cables, termination, or other hardware issues.

If the storage is disk based, check that the storage subsystem is functioning properly. Review any system logs or vendor specific logs associated with the storage to help determine the source of the problem. You may also want to check any vendor specific documentation for troubleshooting recommendations.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

dcarrig
Not applicable

Our Dell LTO-3 external drive connected to an Adaptec 39160 on a Dell Poweredge running Windows 2003 SBE stated to fail with multiple issues. Adpu160m event ID 9 (not responding within timeout period, Backup Exec 2010 R3  reporting read/write errors with messages saying the drive neaded cleaning, and the LTO-3 drive error lights flashing orange. The backup process hung at varying byte counts.

Enterprise level Dell techs resolved after hours of work that the drive was failing and, since out of warranty,they quoted a thousand bucks to warranty drive for 15 months and repair the drive, or could replace with new drive.

We opted to purchase another drive, refurbished, and new tapes. Worked OK for a couple of backups, but then started to see some issues as before.

We replaced the 39160 controller, had the new drive and tapes, slowed the speed on the SCSI bus, disabled Wide negotiations on the bus... Still had errors, although sometimes the backup worked.

Finally ordered a new SCSI external cable. Voila!!!! Problem solved.

Even went back an tried the original LTO-3 drive, controller and tapes. Works great!

Put the original cable in the mix to test, and backups failed as before.

Lesson learned. Try a new SCSI cable (less than $100) before any other hardware remedy.

I never realized a cable that looks new and perfectly sound could be so problematic.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Dev_T
Level 6

Hi,

Do you observe Event ID 7,9,11 in the Windows Event Viewer?

Froy
Level 2

I'm not getting Event ID 7,9, and 11. 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi froy,

I'd rule out any hardware errors by getting hold of the Dell tape utility and running it against your device. You need to stop the BE services first.

If it detects errors, look into replacing the drive.

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

With regards looking for Event ID 7, 9 , 1 1 (and as it happens 15)

Make sure you are looking in the System Event Log as well as the Application Event log

Froy
Level 2

Thanks for the replies.  I opened up a case with Dell and they did a quick erase on all the tapes that came back from rotation.  I normally just associate the media to "scratch tapes".  Last night's backup finished fine and I'll update this post if that fixes the issue.  I will also keep an eye on the tapes that gave me errors.  They have been mounted 14 times and have been on rotation since 1/28/2011.   Not sure if the tape is at fault or the tape drive.  Dell thinks it could be a tape issue, but I will know for sure within the next few days.  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should check the tape statistics by clicking on the tape in the Media tab.  If the tape alone is showing a lot of read and write errors, then it is probably the tape that is bad.  If all your tapes show high error rates, then it is probably the tape drive that is at fault.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Froy,

If you click on your tape drive under Devices, it's going to show different errors...Hard Write Errors are most likely a problem with the drive itself, but can also be an issue with the SCSI card or cable.

If that's a Dell server, it should have management agents you can check out to rule out any other hardware errors!

Thanks!

dcarrig
Not applicable

Our Dell LTO-3 external drive connected to an Adaptec 39160 on a Dell Poweredge running Windows 2003 SBE stated to fail with multiple issues. Adpu160m event ID 9 (not responding within timeout period, Backup Exec 2010 R3  reporting read/write errors with messages saying the drive neaded cleaning, and the LTO-3 drive error lights flashing orange. The backup process hung at varying byte counts.

Enterprise level Dell techs resolved after hours of work that the drive was failing and, since out of warranty,they quoted a thousand bucks to warranty drive for 15 months and repair the drive, or could replace with new drive.

We opted to purchase another drive, refurbished, and new tapes. Worked OK for a couple of backups, but then started to see some issues as before.

We replaced the 39160 controller, had the new drive and tapes, slowed the speed on the SCSI bus, disabled Wide negotiations on the bus... Still had errors, although sometimes the backup worked.

Finally ordered a new SCSI external cable. Voila!!!! Problem solved.

Even went back an tried the original LTO-3 drive, controller and tapes. Works great!

Put the original cable in the mix to test, and backups failed as before.

Lesson learned. Try a new SCSI cable (less than $100) before any other hardware remedy.

I never realized a cable that looks new and perfectly sound could be so problematic.