cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable To Create New Backup To Backup-To-Disk Folder - Access Denied

Philip_Stratfor
Level 3

Hi there,

I know this question has been posed and, in some cases, solved in various guises already, but none have helped me so far.  I've just installed Backup Exec 2010 on a brand new Windows Server 2008 R2 box, which is joined to an Active Directory domain.  I've logged in to the server with my domain account, which is also set up as a Logon Account within BE2010 and tried to create a new Backup-To-Disk folder on my Netgear ReadyNAS2 2100, which is using Domain security mode and is connected to the same domain.  When I do so, and get to the end of the wizard and click finish, I get the error: Unable to create new backup folder.  Access denied.

Let me list the things I've already tried/eliminated to save us time:

• My existing installation of Backup Exec 12.5, on a different box altogether, running Windows XP, has no problem creating a backup-to-disk folder on the same NAS.  That box belongs to the same domain and I'm using the same doman account to login to both servers.
  • I've read a commonly-referred-to post on these forums pointing out that BE2010 uses pass-through authentication to create backup-to-disk folders, not one of the Logon Accounts, and I have followed the steps to get around this, by logging out of the server, logging back in, mapping a network drive to the share on the NAS and entering appropriate login credentials, which all works fine.  However, BE2010 still fails to create the backup-to-disk folder with the same error.
  • I have set the share up on the NAS with no security.  It is completely open to anonymous, guest access for read and write operations.
  • From the server where BE2010 is installed I am able to map a drive to the share on the NAS, browse to in using a UNC, create files and folders there, delete them, etc. through Windows Explorer.
  • In attempting to set up the backup-to-disk folder I have attempted to use all different variations on the NAS's name, including its FQDN and IP address, all to no avail.
  • I have tried amending my Logon Account in BE2010 with variations of my username, prefixing it with the domain name and a backslash, the FQDN and a backslash, and everything in between.

At this point I'm annoyed, frustrated and stuck.  Does anybody have any more suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

8 REPLIES 8

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

The Authentication Mode and NDMP behavious Has been changed From the previous Version of Backup exec Compared with 2010.

Ensure that the NDMP is Turned Of in the Netgear box and try adding the Device back again.

Also It is recommened to run the b2d test tool to see if it is able to Login to the NAS box for its Operation.

Below is the link providing Information about the b2d test tool.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH69107

Regards,

Arul

Philip_Stratfor
Level 3

Thanks for your reply.  I'm not using NDMP, and the Netgear box doesn't support it anyway.

I ran the B2D test tool, which is very useful, but it only returns three warnings - on Traverse Volume Info, Reparse Points and Sparse Files, all of which seem to be covered in that article you linked me to as things which can be expected and need not be worried about.  Everything else passes, but BE2010 still won't let me create a B2D folder.

I've attached the log from the B2D test for you to have a look at (copied into a Word document, because .log files aren't allowed to be uploaded here, which seems a bit silly for a support forum!).

Thanks,
Phil

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Seems strange the Test Came without Any problems.

The Hardlink error Does not seems to be related to the NAS share.

Backup exec service account and system Logon account are they the same?

Ensure the backup exec Service account needs to have Full Permission on the NAS device.

(Assign the BESA account to the administrator Group in the NAS device)

Note: Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organizations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored.

A forum is Publicly Avaible Discussion thread where Anyone and everyone can see The post and its content. Log File has sensitive data(i.e Server name, IP information etc..) , Hence it is restricted and Not allowed to be Uploaded here.

Regards,

Arul

Philip_Stratfor
Level 3

I have changed the Backup Exec Service Account to match the system logon account, and changed the Backup Exec services to run with the same account also.  The account I'm now using, just for testing, is my own domain logon account, which is an administrator on the NAS, but I am still unable to create a Backup-To-Disk Folder.

Actually, having tried all that I went back to the share on the NAS in Windows Explorer and I am getting 'access denied' messages in Windows, now, too.  This is new - it definitely worked before, and I haven't changed anything!  It's as if BE2010 trying to connect to the share has broken the permissions on the share!  After changing all the service accounts to use my domain login, as described above, the 'Create Backup-To-Disk' wizard did pause for a long time upon completion before telling me that access was denied, whereas previously it would do so immediately.  Obviously something changed by my changing the service logon accounts, but not for the better!

Philip_Stratfor
Level 3

Well, I've just totally reinstalled BE2010, using my domain logon account, which is an admin on the NAS, at every stage for consistency.  I also deleted the share on the NAS and recreated it, still with no security whatsoever.  My share was accessible, I tested it.

I opened BE2010 for the first time, tried to create my B2D folder, waited about 30 seconds after clicking Finish on the wizard, only to get the same 'Access Denied' message.  And again, my new share has broken, and now I can't access it from Windows either.

What on earth is going on?!  I really hoped that upgrading from BE12.5 would see a reduction in the number of annoying quirks and frustrations, but at least that version allowed me to create a B2D folder!  And on the same NAS, too!

Philip_Stratfor
Level 3

What is the process carried out by BE2010 when it tries to create a new B2D folder?  I can now consistently create a new share, connect to it and create files in Windows Explorer, but every time I try to create a B2D folder using that share I get the 'Access Denied' error, and the folder is no longe accessible in Windows either.

Somehow BE2010 breaks the share, changing its permissions to something which won't even allow it to access the folder itself!  This is madness.  The only thing I'm able to do is to delete the share and try again, over and over, without success.

At least if I knew the process BE2010 carries out when it tries to create a B2D folder I might be able to determine how it is breaking the share permissions.

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

is the ready NAS listed under Domain?

Ensure that From tools -> options

Network and security ->  Enable remote agent TCP dynamic port range and enable user share is selected

just In case This is How You select the NAS device when Creating the Device from the domain list

http://www.readynas.com/?p=1951

Arul

Philip_Stratfor
Level 3

Thanks for the tips and link.  I'd already selected 'Enable user share'.  The guide is quite good, but essentially just contains screenshots of the wizard, which I can see when I work through it myself - it doesn't offer much in the way of advice!

Anyway, I think I've found a workaround to this.  If I create a subfolder in the share on the NAS and use that as the B2D folder rather than the share itself it seems to work properly.  I have no idea why.