cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 / Exchange 2010 SP1 DAG - 0XE0002F7 VFF Open Failure Low Resources

Joe_Davies
Level 3

Hi All,

I have a server running Backup Exec 2010 R3 to back up an Exchange 2010 SP1 2-server DAG.  All servers are running Windows Server 2008 R2.  The two Exchange servers are identical hardware/specs and have 64GB RAM with plenty of free storage space.  I started getting the following error about a month ago when running my full GRT-enabled backups to tape:

Job Completion Status --

0xe00002f7 - Cannot extract mailbox messages from the Exchange backup. Review the job log for more information.
Final error category: Resource Errors

And in the more detailed "Errors" section --

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified options for the following reason: VFF Open Failure.  This can be caused by low memory or disk resources. 

I think I started getting the error after installing Exchange Rollup 6, but I am not positive about this.  I've come across a few different solutions, but some of them are not applicable to my setup and the others which are do not work.  Here is what I've tried so far, neither of which have made any difference:

1. Remove Exchange license from backup server, reboot, re-add license, redeploy agent to Exchange servers

2. Update Backup Exec 2010 R3 to SP2, redeploy agent to Exchange Servers (tried both update and reinstall)

Uninstalling Exchange Rollup 6 is a last resort, because I don't know if that is the cause.  Also it is inevitable that it will have to be installed sometime in the future anyways.  Maybe I'm missing some other solution out there.. anyone have suggestions for what I can try next?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Joe_Davies
Level 3

Thank you for posting the links, but unfortunately neither of those helped out.  I found a thread (link below) about changing the backup exec temp folders on the Exchange servers.  Although the agent should detect the volume with the highest amount of free space I thought that maybe it wasn't detecting correctly.  I set the temporary path in the registry, then ran two backup jobs manually and both have completed successfully.  I am really hoping this resolves the issue and will keep my fingers crossed that the backups continue to run successfully.  I'll update this message thread if I have any more information.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-creating-temp-folders

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Joe_Davies
Level 3

Thank you for posting the links, but unfortunately neither of those helped out.  I found a thread (link below) about changing the backup exec temp folders on the Exchange servers.  Although the agent should detect the volume with the highest amount of free space I thought that maybe it wasn't detecting correctly.  I set the temporary path in the registry, then ran two backup jobs manually and both have completed successfully.  I am really hoping this resolves the issue and will keep my fingers crossed that the backups continue to run successfully.  I'll update this message thread if I have any more information.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-creating-temp-folders