Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Hyper-V backup

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Hi,

Trying to configure a backup of a single Hyper-V guest from the host server which has Backup Exec 2010 R3 (rev 5204) installed.

Host server is 2008 R2 Standard

The job constantly fails with;

"Final error: 0xe0009b61 - The logon account that was provided does not have valid credentials. Ensure that the user name and password are correct, and then try again. Final error category: Security Errors " ""

The job is configured with only the Hyper-V selection listed, both the Initial Store and Virtual Machines selections are ticked.

Hyper-V agent is installed and licensed, only option set is to also backup virtual machines that are powered off.

A credential test passes fine, the default system account has full admin rights on both the guest and the host.

A test backup of a folder within the guest also works fine.

AOFO is disabled on the Hyper-V job and the default system account is prefixed with the domain name (mentioned in a few other articles/posts so already tested).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Francis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Tried with the Domain Admin account as the default logon account, still failed, recreated the job and still failed.

Reverted to using the backup exec service account and tested with different selections.

Have now discovered that if I back up the 'Initial Store' selection OR the Virtual Machines selection, both work individually.

If both are selected in the same job, I get the invalid credentials failure.

I can seperate them out into different jobs, but is there any reason for them to not successfully back up together?

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
1. Check the logon account and verify if it has enough privileges. It should be a member of the Domain Admin group and the Administrators Group

2. The account should be a part of. (See the related documents on how to modify the below groups)
  • Backup operators group
  • Log on as service
  • Logon as batch job
  • Create a token object
  • Act as a part of Operating System
  • Backup files and directories on the Remote server

as per the technote " http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH36718 "

Thanks,

-Sush...

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Thanks Sush,

The BE service account is a member of domain admins, has also been added into local admins and backup operators groups on both the Hyper V host and guest.

Still failing with an invalid credentials error unfortunately.

Francis

VJware
Level 6

See if you are able to backup by installing the Remote Agent in the VM...

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Agent is installed on the guest, backing up individual files on the guest works fine.

The Hyper-V backup of the host still fails with an invalid credential error.

Francis

VJware
Level 6

Try with a different account with the required privileges...ensure that this account is a member of the local admin group on the Hyper V host and the guest virtual system as well...

Also, try recreating a different selection list

Francis-T
Level 4
Partner

Tried with the Domain Admin account as the default logon account, still failed, recreated the job and still failed.

Reverted to using the backup exec service account and tested with different selections.

Have now discovered that if I back up the 'Initial Store' selection OR the Virtual Machines selection, both work individually.

If both are selected in the same job, I get the invalid credentials failure.

I can seperate them out into different jobs, but is there any reason for them to not successfully back up together?

Thanks again.