cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 Not Overwriting

yurisend
Level 2

I am having a very difficult time configuring backup exec 2010 R3 to properly overwrite backup files on the target backup hard disk. We currently have a backup job backing up a sharepoint server, active domain controller, and exchange server. The Symantec BU exec seems to back all of these selection properly, except that the target hard disk tends to fill up overtime, and the job cancels due to not enough space on the drive.

-everywhere it is possible, we have the overwrite option checked for the media, for the target drive, etc.

-we have tried performing the job with overwrite protection, and without.

-have read numerous other posts with this same problem, tried their approach, with no success.

-if one is to view the backup files on the media there are many files that are considered "overwriteable" by the program, but yet they do not get overwritten, or at least it appears so, as the drive keeps filling up.

Only unusual aspect of our backups is that we use  5 different hard disks for the backup, they are all removable USB drives. They all correspond to one B2D Harddrive, as a configured device. They are not each configured separately. This may be the problem, however when setting up Symantec BU exec for the first time, I was advised to not set them up as removable media, but rather as non-removable (this seems rather counter-intuitive to me) 

I must honesty say that I am not an expert with Symantec BU exec, its something that I am still learning.

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get

Thanks,

yurisend

1 REPLY 1

Carlos_Quiroga
Level 5
Employee Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55855

And the related articles at the bottom of the page.

Regards,