cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 - The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive or Robot paused, offline, or disabled.

DB2230
Level 2

Hello All,

As the title states I've been contually receiving an error message that states "The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive or Robot paused, offline, or disabled." when attempting to inventory tapes.  Our current setup is using Windows 2008 R2 that is directly connected to a Quantum SuperLoader 3.  Let me outline what I've tried been able to verify so far:

• The tape device is recognized in Windows Device Manager
  • I've tried restarting services, verifying service credentials, and even uninstalled and reinstalled the device based on other Symantec thread recommendations.
  • I can see the tapes listed in the device pool.
  • If I attempt to inventory the tapes I receive - "The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive or Robot paused, offline, or disabled."
  • If I attempt to clean the drive I receive - "e0008115 - Physical Volume Library Drive or Robot paused, offline, or disabled."
  • If I attempt to run a backup to tape I receive - "e000810c - Physical Volume Library Drive not available. "

Please let me know if I've left out any pertinent information.  Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

DB

6 REPLIES 6

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Try resetting the tape device by power cycling it. To do this you need to complete the steps listed below in the order they are provided. If that does not resolve the issue you may also want to verify you have the latest drivers and/or firmware installed for the device itself.

1. Power down the Backup Exec Server
  2. Power down the tape device
  3. Once the device is fully powered down, power the tape device back on
  4. Wait until the device is fully powered up and ready for a command
  5. Power on the Backup Exec Server

DB2230
Level 2

Thank you for your reponse.  I followed the process outlined above and have slightly different results this time.  I can see all my partioned drives under the "slots" category, but the drive itself only displays one media tape.  The tape which is displayed is not a valid tape number and is not currently in the drive. Interestingly enough, the tape shows it's at full capacity and when I attempt to clean or inventory the tape the device goes offline.  Please let me know if I can provide any further detail.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

I would suggest logging into the user interface for the device and confirm if the device reports any issues or logged events. You can also try referring to the following document for troubleshooting a robotic library with Backup Exec.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Does the drive and library pass the vendor diagnostic tests ?

DB2230
Level 2

Hi VJ,

Sorry, but I'm not entirley certain which diagnotic tests you're refering to.  I've been able to configure the robotic library and installed the latest drives using Backup Exec's interface.  If this is not the diag test you're referencing, could you please provide additional information?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

He is referring to the diagnostic utility that can obtained from Quantum.  Run this diagnostic utility against the tape library/drive.  Make sure you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.

Check that your library is listed in the Windows Device Manager as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver.  If it has a Quantum driver then change the driver to the microsoft driver using the procedure in the document below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67639

The tape drive should have a Symantec driver.