cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 SP1: Backing up to tape drive on different media server

OFP_Mike
Level 3

Hello,

We recently added an additional BE 2014 media server along with the Enterprise Server Option for CASO to backup servers that have been moved to our off-site location.  Most of our backups are done to disk, but once a month we have some month-end backups that go to tape.  The problem is that the tape library is connected to the media server in our main location, but one of the databases that we backup at ME is in the off-site location.  So, how can I backup the database on one media server, then move it to a tape drive connected to another media server?  The original suggestion I had was to set up the tape library as a private cloud backup device, but it wouldn't let me do this with a tape library.  This is what I'm working with:

Location A
Database to be backed up
BE 2014 Media Server A
Storage device used:  Network share A on local EMC DataDomain 620 (deduplicated and synched to a share at location B)

Location B
BE 2014 Media Server B
Storage devices used:  Synched share on local EMC DataDomain 620 (from network share A at location A), direct attached LTO5 tape library

The locations are connected by a 50 Mbps eline connection - this can be temporarily bumped up as high as 150 Mbps on-demand if needed.  Ultimately what we want to do is back up the database at location A to tape at location B.  However, we stop the database to do an offline backup for month-end, so I wanted to do the initial backup to local storage first so that the database isn't down while moving the backup between locations.  Anyone have any ideas on how we could do this?

Thanks...  Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You'd need to do it this way:

1. Backup to the initial location where the databases are located.

2. Using CASO duplicate to the server with the tape drive.

3. Duplicate to tape from that location.

No way to use CASO and instruct the remote server to backup the local server's data on disk as this would end up messing up the catalogs anyway and prevent restores.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV

Hi,

You'd need to do it this way:

1. Backup to the initial location where the databases are located.

2. Using CASO duplicate to the server with the tape drive.

3. Duplicate to tape from that location.

No way to use CASO and instruct the remote server to backup the local server's data on disk as this would end up messing up the catalogs anyway and prevent restores.

Thanks!

OFP_Mike
Level 3

That worked, thanks!

CraigV

...cool beans!