cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 - VMware Selection list

doggatas
Level 3

We backup a number of VMware (ESX4) server using the VMware agent in Backup Exec 2010 R3. One particular server has dissapeared from the selection list under the Vmware vCentre and ESX host node.

On the vCentre server I have restarted Vcentre Service, Backup Exec remote agent.

On the Virtual Server in question I have restarted Vm tools and backup exec remote agent.

Neither of the steps above has placed the server in the list for a selectable backup source. Out of the 30 or so Vms we have this is the only server that is not available for selection, ie. not in the list.

I am now doing a file level backup on the server in question whilst I troubleshoot this issue, although not ideal it is atlease a work around until a solution is found. I was hoping some may have came across a similar issue.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Calis
Level 4

Have you tried checking in the Discovered Virtual Machines folder on either the VI client or the BU selection job?

I had some VMs  "just move there" somehow and had to go to VMs and Templates in Viclient and move them out of the folder. Just a thought.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Have you tried to ping the VM in question from the Media server.

If the server is pingable then try to add the server in the user defined selection.

Make sure port 10000 is used by beremote.exe 

doggatas
Level 3

Thanks for the reply.

I can ping either server in either direction and can telnet on port 10000 back to the media server. The server was being backed up susscessfully up until 3 days ago.

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

On the remote server, check the remote agent utility make sure Media server's name is 

listed in the publishing tab.

doggatas
Level 3

I must sound like a moaning old hag, but the media server is listed under the publishing tab.

There are other Virtual Servers in the VMware node that are not backed up by Backup Exec, they dont event have the BE agent installed.

I should note: the Server is available as a selectable resource outside the VMware node, ie. as a windows server.

Lesta_G
Level 6

In the vcenter , for the VM in question, any errors in the the events tab?

Considering the AVVI agent uses the VSS providers have you checked that the providers are on the machine and that the writers have no error?

Any security changes in the vcenter?

Calis
Level 4

Have you tried checking in the Discovered Virtual Machines folder on either the VI client or the BU selection job?

I had some VMs  "just move there" somehow and had to go to VMs and Templates in Viclient and move them out of the folder. Just a thought.

doggatas
Level 3

Hey Calis

I probably should have come back and replied 2 weeks ago. I 'found' them in the discovered virtual machines folder as well. So yeh that was the solution. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Doggatas

Calis
Level 4

lol no problem. seems to be a common thing. drove me nuts for a little while as well.

glade its fixed.