cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 - fails on backing up Exchange 2007

steve02aa
Level 3
Partner

I am running Backup Exec 2010 R2 on a Win 2008 R2 x64 machine.  I have Exchange 2007 running on a Win 2003 Enterprise x64 server.

I'm retiring my Exchange 2007 (moved to cloud email) and I'm trying to get one good last backup before I reprovision this server for something else.

Anyhow, backups of exchange were working fine, up until about 2 months ago (and I'm now just getting time to work on this issue).

When I run the exchange backup, this is what my log file is producing:

I've read through the problem/solution for the link of V-59-57344-347070 and none helped.  Went through my selection lists, including the Exclude selection list and nothing there to see (nothing that would obviously point out an issue).  VSS is working fine (I use a cloud backup solution that uses VSS and I have no issues w/that.  I've tested using the microsoft backup and that works fine as well).

At a command prompt, when I type vssadmin list providers, I do not see the Symantec VSS provider there.  Only Microsoft.  When I type vssadmin list writers, all the writers say No Error and State [1] Stable.  Not quite sure what else to check for VSS - appears to be working normal.  Of course, this problem could not even be related to VSS.

Would anyone happen to know what's happening there?  I just need one final good backup of my exchange so I can move on...

Job ended: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 at 7:00:42 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008516 - Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on them. Check if files were deleted or renamed.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34070

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- exchange07.domain.com
V-79-57344-34070 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open Fil...

Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on...

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

V-79-57344-34070 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open Fil...

Snapshot provider error (0xE0008516): Resources specified for snapshot do not have any valid data on...

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Are you going to continue using BE to backup your environment, or move over to this cloud-based backup solution?

If you are continuing to use BE, then consider an upgrade to BE 2010 R3. This fixed a number of issues with previous versions of Backup Exec 2010. Might be worth doing as you get to use your current licenses. Just grab manual copies of the Data/Catalogs folders after stopping the BE services first.

http://trialware.norton.com/files/fc/Backup_Exec_2010_13.0.5204_MultiPlatforms_Multilingual_DVD.iso

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH208601

Then try the backup again!

Thanks!

steve02aa
Level 3
Partner

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the input.  Did I say R2?  Yep..I did.  I'm sorry, I'm actually use BE 2010 R3...  typo there.

Yes, I'll continue using BE.  I still do.  I do hybrid backups.  I use BE to backup to a NAS device (this replaced tapes), and I do cloud backup.  I'm just looking to get one final solid full backup of my exchange so I can retire that machine and use it for something else.  Even though I have all the users on hosted email (for many months now), and even though my exchange data is probably out of date now - I still want a solid backup of it to preserve forever.

CraigV

Mmm...is that cloud backup also backing up the Exchange server? If so, I wonder if you don't perhaps place those services on hold, and then restart the Exchange server.

Once done, run a BE backup and see if it runs through successfully. If it does, you have your final backup, and you can then restart the cloud backup services. Could be that VSS is running into errors by using 2 different backup vendor technologies.

Thanks!

steve02aa
Level 3
Partner

My cloud backup is only backing up files/folders on my server.  Not my exchange (which is a seperate server).

My cloud backup only starts at 01:00 PST and that goes for about 2 hours.  I could attempt to run my exchange backup from BE anytime of the day - even the middle of the day when I know there are zero backups running, and it'll still fail.

CraigV

...might be worthwhile opening a forum query then Steve. Post back here with an update and close it off if you found your solution.

Thanks!