cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 + Windows Server 2012, single server setup

Kremlar
Level 4
Partner

What is the recommend solution for a small, single server shop running Windows Server 2012 and looking for a good backup solution?

We are big fans of Backup Exec 2010, we are NOT fans of Backup Exec 2012.

2010 with latest service pack supports installing the agent on 2012, but not the media server.

We've considering using a separate PC as a media server to run the backups, but since Symantec does not support Windows 7/8 as a media server that's out of the question due to the cost of a Windows Server license.

What are others doing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kremlar
Level 4
Partner

It seems like the proper solution would be to go with a different backup product for this situation.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As if now the only possibility to backup a Windows Server 2012 is by using Backup Exec remote agent. You need to have another server to run Backup exec.

Thanks

Kremlar
Level 4
Partner

I understand that.  But, what are others doing?  Are small shops not using Backup Exec?  Are they using a single box in a VM environment? 

I understand this huge limitation, I'm looking for ideas.

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

Vmware or Hyper-V is a good option. You can install 2008 R2 on one of the VMs and you can install Backup Exec and then backup your 2012 machine.

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can install 2008 R2 on one of the VMs and you can install Backup Exec

Since when did Symantec fully support the use of VM's as a media server?  Can you provide some documentation to support this?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Kremlar,

You're not being told the full story with virtualizing a media server...Symantec do not support this. All documentation points to this. If you do this you will be unsupported.

From a VMware perspective, passthrough isn't supported anymore. From a Hyper-V perspective (because this is what you're being prompted to do), read below:

http://searchvirtualstorage.techtarget.com/tip/Limitations-of-SCSI-pass-through-disks-in-Hyper-V

For Hyper-V 3, you need tape redirector software...so it starts to become messy:

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/forums/starwind-f5/make-tape-drive-hyper-host-available-within-guest...

From a practical point of view, if your single VM host dies and there is data loss, you're going to lose all the data you've backed up if the media server is virtualised. You will be irrecoverable.

The only other option you have is to install Windows XP on a PC and load Backup Exec 2010 R3 with SP3. The downside to this is that XP is obviously NOT a server-based OS, but it is supportable.

The optimal solution is that you get hold of a Windows Server 2008 R2 license as suggested and use this instead.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

WinXP is EOL in a couple of months time with no fixes forthcoming from Microsoft, so I would hesitate to go that route.

CraigV

Yep, the suggestion was more of an indication of what he could do if he was absolutely desperate. The suggestion to use a Windows Server-based server would be what he is required to consider more seriously.

Thanks!

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

Hi,

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH130609 . This document says that we can use guest VM machines to install Backup Exec. There are certain limitations but it can be used as a Media server.

Thanks

CraigV

Please note:

1. This is for ESX...no mention of Hyper-V.

2. Needs to be updated as VMware 5.x has done away with SCSI pass-through meaning that no external tape drives would be supported.

3. While this can be considered an alternative configuration, Symantec are clear that they are under no obligation to support such a configuration.

Thanks!

Kremlar
Level 4
Partner

Sorry, should have been clear.  We are not using tape-based backup - we are backing up to disk.  If the VM was lost we would be able to rebuild and restore from disk-based backups stored on external off-site media.

I find it hard to believe anyone would recommend XP being used for new installations of ANYTHING at this point.

I know there's probably no public answer to this, but what is Symantec thinking??  Why are they taking so long to get a solution in place?

CraigV

...I don't use XP for anything. However, you stated a server license is too expensive, and if you are desperate enough for a backup while sourcing funding for a proper server-based OS license, then this would be the last desktop-based OS that can have BE installed on it.

However, backing up to disk or tape doesn't matter...you'd be using an alternative solution meaning Symantec doesn't have to support you.

Thanks!

Kremlar
Level 4
Partner

It seems like the proper solution would be to go with a different backup product for this situation.