cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 and NDMP backups for Sun Storage Array

Gankmasterflex
Not applicable

Hi All,

Just a quick question does anybody know if the NDMP support for Backup Exec 2010 extend to supporting NDMP backups for Sun Disk Arrays. We have two 7310 filer heads in a cluster and a JBOD 4400 array and was just wondering if it would be possible to back this up via NDMP or NFS using Backup Exec 2010 as we are currently running version 11d and are looking at upgrading but the ability to backup this Sun Array is the big deciding factor.

If anybody out there has a similar setup and already does this please let me know it would be great to hear from you on this issue.

Many thanks,

Nick

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6

All compatibility is listed in various compatibility lists in the support site as published PDF's, that are updated almost bi-monthly.

In your case, SUN is NOT listed as NDMP compatible currently.  Though I know in BE2010 R2, it was to under go testing, as they changed the framework for NDMP in this release.  Though timeline is unknown.

It's possible via NDMP v4, that you could make it work, but will get no support from Symantec in doing so.

As for NFS, I'm sure you can mount an NFS share on Windows, and back it up.  But it's up ot you to verify that all the ACL's are protected as needed (if needed at all)

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Tech Support have received information that should be refelected in the public HCL soon that indicates that

Sun Storage 7000 series devices with a minimum software level of 2010.Q3.2 are now supported by BackuP Exec 2010 R2 with the latest DDI

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH143981

Note if you read the notes on the above article - one of the resolved issues is

• NDMP: DDI device support to Add Isilon and Oracle

and Oracle now own Sun - as such that reference is actually for the Sun Storage 7000 Series

EDIT: The latest HCL - Dated 17th December- contains this information under NDMP Oracle

teiva-boy
Level 6

BE2010 R2 has now been updated to support the Sun 7000 series NDMP devices.

Check the latest HCL for more info, you may need a new DDI