cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 dedupe speed

trimble
Level 2

I have 2010 installed with some SAN storage attached.  After I've backed up a 100 GB volume, the next time I run Backup Exec, I get about 3500 MB/min.  How is everyone else's backup speed?
8 REPLIES 8

teiva-boy
Level 6
 What was the speed of the initial backup?  That is a good indicator of performance increase with Dedupe.

Go from say 1100-1300MB/Min on the initial, and then more than double on subsequent backups...  Oh and is this source or target based dedupe?

trimble
Level 2
The initial speed as about 1000MB/Min and i've tried both source and target and the speed actually was about the same.  I hope that helps

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Just a note, Dedupe performance is HIGHLY dependent on CPU processing power.  The more CPU speed, more cores, and even dual CPU's are ideal.  This is because of the overhead required to crunch the data to do the dedupe.

You need a 64bit OS, it's required!

You need enough RAM for the OS, and applications, PLUS 1GB of RAM for each TB of deduped data.  So an 8GB server is a good start, going up to around 24GB...

Multiple NIC's trunked will be a good idea too, so that you can receive multiple streams of data and maximize your media servers bandwidth.

trimble
Level 2

I have about 1 TB of data I an currently using for testing.  I have 4 GB alloted for RAM for the machine with a single quad core processor.  What has your backup speed been after the data has been deduped?

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Roughly yours, in the 3000-5000MB range...

But this is a pristine lab environment with an HP EVA SAN dedicated to this task.  A real production environment, I would probably see less.  With iSCSI even less so.

You may want to go to 6-8GB of RAM...  And again CPU power is key for Dedupe.

Aidan_Finley
Level 4
Employee
CPU speed is definitely one of the primary variables in dedupe speed.  Disk speed is another - we've got some internal testing that has been done with RAID-5 volumes vs. RAID-1 that shows the lower write performance of the raid 5 volumes as compared to the raid 1 volume.  But on some reasonably good hardware in house we've seen in the 3000 - 6000 MB/min range as well.

I'm glad you noted that the 1st backup of any resource is likely to be the slowest backup.  Backups will generally get faster with time as the deduplication database grows with known deduplication fingerprints.  The more fingerprints that exist in the deduplication database, the higher probability for a match, and thus, faster backups.

With regards to client vs. media server deduplication, Trimble, you are correct, in a small environment, it's very likely they will perform identically.  However, as the number of concurrent backups increases, it's very likley that client deduplication will give better performance in the long run.  There is a good perforamnce case to be made with client dedupe "spreading the load" of deduplication processing out to all the remote clients, rather than forcing the media server to handle all the dedupe processing load by itself.

Aidan Finley
Sr. Product Manager, Backup Exec 

tekdeck
Level 3
In regards to client vs media server dedup, I would think worth noting also along with spreading the load among many clients with client side dedup or "direct-access" to dedup storage folder is that with client side you are only sending changes across your network. We backup about 4TB nightly, which can cause a performance hit on our network when using traditional backups or media server dedup.

dfiore
Level 3
Hi I am curious if you can let me know how you trunk your NICs?   I am using the hp network config utility and really do not see any performance increase. The 4 teamed nics are set to Switch Assisted Load Balancing with Fault Tolerance. 

Are you trunking them on the switch as well?

Thank you

-Doug