cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 - duplicate backup set if a RDX cartridge is inserted

Seppidane
Level 3
Hi,

During the night a backup job is scheduled to run a full data backup. Every morning a co-worker inserts a RDX cartridge into the backup server.

My task:  I need to duplicate the backup set that was created during the night onto the RDX cartridge as soon as it's inserted into the backup server.

What I did so far:
  • Created a Removable B2D folder called “Backup-To-RDX01” onto the RDX cartridge as described here: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/253764.htm
  • Configured job “Backup-Full” to run at 03:00
  • Configured job “Duplicate Backup-Full” using the option “Duplicate backup sets following a job” as follows:
    • Source
      • Job:                                     “Backup-Full”
    • Destination
      • Device and Media:        “Backup-To-RDX01”
However, since the RDX cartridge is not present when “Backup-Full” finishes, I get a “Device Intervention” pop-up.

”The magazine is missing or not properly installed.”

I click “OK” and the next popup appears, “Media Insert”.

” Please insert overwritable media into the backup-to-disk device.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.

Respond Yes to acknowledge.
Respond No to retry the operation.
Respond Cancel to cancel the operation.”

At this point I configured "Media Insert" category to respond with “No” every 5 minutes.

This way the job will look for the RDX every 5 minutes until someone inserts it into the server and then continue.

What bothers me: In case nobody inserts a RDX cartridge into the server or something is wrong with it, I will never get a notification mail that something is wrong. The duplicate job will simply keep retrying every 5 minutes forever.

Actual question: I don’t know if what I did here complies with best practices. So, is there a different way to accomplish my task?

Any help is much appreciated!
Sepp
3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Why not just make sure that an RDX media is mounted  before leaving for the night?  

Just like you would make sure a writeable tape was mounted for a B2T job that runs at 03:00 every night

Seppidane
Level 3

The RDX is supposed to be stored in another building over night.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
How about buying another cartridge so that you have 2 cartridges in the drive at night and another stored in the other buiding.  You then swap the 2nd cartridge with the one in the other building the next day.