cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 - "Exception from HRESULT: 0x88982F50"

Rob-Custex
Level 3
I upgrade our Backup Exec 12.5 installation to the new 2010 last night. Everything went like clock work, right until I attempted to open the GUI Client. I get the new splash screen the little blue bar does it's dance and then this little box appears. There is no title, just a message saying Exception from HRESULT: 0x88982F50. Opening Process Explorer allows me to see that the Bkupexec.exe application is still running, but the gui never appears. On a positive note, the system is still performing the backups as scheduled, which is the only reason I'm not totally freaking out at this point. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Toothsmith - try installing the remote admin console onto an XP workstation - you might find you can at least then Administer your Backup Exec installation and therefore use it.

The document acknowledging our awareness of the issue and providing the same workaround is available
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/347075

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Toothsmith
Level 2
I installed BE2010 this morning after having uninstalled 12.5 and got exactly the same HRESULT message; a warning notification and the loading screen which continues for a minute or so and then abandons. I can't get past this screen so BE is now useless...

So, if anybody on this forum or anybody in Symantec has any ideas, I, and Rob-Custex, will be grateful.

Richard

Rob-Custex
Level 3
I attempted an uninstall and reinstall instead of an upgrade. Everything went smoothly, but I'm still getting the same error.

Rob-Custex
Level 3
Doesn't anyone else have any ideas on this one? Richard proves that I'm not the only one with this issue.

Toothsmith
Level 2
I did find instructions on the Symantec site last week which stated that if this problem occurred, you should do a remote install;
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/347075.htm

I tried that and it didn't work. What worried me was the (probably standard) disclaimer which said that Symantec didn't necessarily recognise the fault and wasn't necessarily going to do anything about it. That really cheers me up. Not...

So it looks as if we're back where we started.

Anybody else any ideas? I think that a product from an international recognised company with a problem as severe as this which means we can't even install the product should receive top priority. Where are you, Symantec?

Richard

Rob-Custex
Level 3
Richard,

Thanks for the link. I installed the remote software on my desktop and it's given me the access that I needed. It's a bandade fix, but it's will do for the short term. I'm sorry that it didn't work for you. I do agree that the fact that they aren't slating this into a scheduled patch cycle is a little frustrating. Hopefully they will find a fix and slip it in for us. Best of luck to you Richard I hope that you can find a solution, even if it's a short term one.

Rob

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Sorry no one else is responding to this one.  But this is an issue we are still looking into, as soon as more information is available or a hotfix becomes available I'll post to this thread again.  Let me know if there are any questions in the mean time.

Toothsmith
Level 2

Ben L, I'm pleased that Symantec has shown a response and I thank you for that. In the meantime, my copy of BE2010 remains expensively useless and I await a proper response and a solution at the earliest.

Richard

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Toothsmith - try installing the remote admin console onto an XP workstation - you might find you can at least then Administer your Backup Exec installation and therefore use it.

The document acknowledging our awareness of the issue and providing the same workaround is available
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/347075