Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 32-bit migration to Backup Exec 2012 64-bit

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

I need suggestion..

At present, the Backup environment is Backup Exec 2012 SP2, Hotfix 209149 with 32-bit hardware with tape library attached as storage destination in Windows 2003 server, we have new Exchange 2010 server, we tried to take backup, but it is not supported with Backup exec 2012 32-bit hardware, it is required 64-bit Backup Exec 2012 media server, so we are planning to migrate backup exec 2012 media server to 64-bit hardware.

Iam planning to do the below steps to migrate 64-bit hardware, please guide me, if I missed any steps.

1. Take catalog and Data folder from current backup exec server and shutdown current server.

2. Install backup exec 2012 sp2 in new hardware 64-bit (windows 2008 SP2 64-bit or windows 2008 R2)

3. update old backup exec catalog and Data folder in new backup exec server.

4. Connect tape library with new backup exec server and install symantec driver software and configure tape storage.

5. Run liveupdate in new backup exec server to update backup exec 2012 sp3

6. install backup exec 2012 remote agent in Exchange server and configure backup.

I have question now -

1. In new backup exec server, shall i install backup exec 2012 and run liveupdate and make backup exec 2012 sp3 and then update old server catalog and data folder ? it will work or I need to install only backup exec 2012 sp2 and update catalog ?

2. how can i get license file from old backup exec 2012 (windows 2003) (location) and how can i add to new server (windows 2008)

3. I need to reconfigure tape library in new backup exec 2012 server or, just update catalog and data folder in new backup exec server ?

Thanks in advanced.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ecnivnaj
Level 5
Partner Accredited

1. In new backup exec server, shall i install backup exec 2012 and run liveupdate and make backup exec 2012 sp3 and then update old server catalog and data folder ? it will work or I need to install only backup exec 2012 sp2 and update catalog ?

*Update your new backup server to SP4. Upon upgrade, stop BE services update the data and catalog files, run liveupdate and upgrade your client agents. It will work as long as your copy of catalogs and data files are not corrupted.

2. how can i get license file from old backup exec 2012 (windows 2003) (location) and how can i add to new server (windows 2008)

*Symantec licenses are not bound to the server eventhough it has been used, as long as you have copy of the base licenses you will not have any problem on this.

3. I need to reconfigure tape library in new backup exec 2012 server or, just update catalog and data folder in new backup exec server ?

* I would recommend reconfiguration of the tape device, if you need catalogs of the previous backups, update your ctalog file folder or just run a catalog command on your tape cartridges.

Hope this helps..

Thanks,

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should upgrade your existing BE to SP4 before proceeding.  SP4 is new and may not be available on LU yet, so download it here

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH212772

You should also upgrade the new BE to SP4 before the migration.

See this document for the correct migration procedure

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH67768

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi,

The migration procedure in TECH67768 has missed on the license files associated to Backup Exec 2012. As such, please refer to the following link to determine the location of license files in Backup Exec 2012: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188088

All you need to do is to move the license files from the old server to the new server and during the installation point it towards the .slf files. 

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi pkh,

Thanks for your information...

How about the tape library, is this necessary that I have install the symantec driver software in new backup exec server or just update Catalog and data folders in new server.

If I install tape library driver software in new backup exec server and configure tape storage, it wont affect the exisitng tape with data from old backup exec server ?

ecnivnaj
Level 5
Partner Accredited

*Update your new backup server to SP4. Upon upgrade, stop BE services update the data and catalog files, run liveupdate and upgrade your client agents. It will work as long as your copy of catalogs and data files are not corrupted.

*Symantec licenses are not bound to the server eventhough it has been used, as long as you have copy of the base licenses you will not have any problem on this.

* I would recommend reconfiguration of the tape device, if you need catalogs of the previous backups, update your ctalog file folder or just run a catalog command on your tape cartridges.

Hope this helps..

Thanks,

NBU_13
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hi ecnivaj,

Thanks for your answer,

For clarification.

While reconfiguration of the tape device in new backup exec server, it will affect the data in the exisitng tape with data from old backup exec server ?

ecnivnaj
Level 5
Partner Accredited

It will not affect the data from the previous backup server since it will just update/refresh your be catalogs of the media sets on the tape cartridges.

Thanks..