Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Agent Licensing

Arvin_MISPL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Symantec,

I’ve an licensing requirement related enquiry before purchasing Backup Exec 2012 licenses. Currently, we have a client with 4 servers with the following roles below. I'm confused on the licenses required to purchase to fulfill the agent licensing requirement by Symantec. Kindly help.

Server 1 – Active Directory

Server 2 – Active Directory, SQL & Backup Exec Media Server

Server 3 – SQL

Server 4 – Hyper-V

As what I can think of is, I need 2 x Agent for App & DB (for 1 & 2 & 3), 1 x Hyper-V Agent (for 4). Since Server 2 is BEMS, is BE server license is sufficient?

24 REPLIES 24

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Thanks very much for the clarification Jaydeep. I didn't consider only backing up the 1 DC, so thanks for pointing that out, along with confirming what we all thought about the licensing (non-Symantec employees).

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What you are suggesting is only applicable if the user is prepared to wait for the restored AD object to be propagate from one DC to another. What if he don't want to wait? How many agent licences do he require for the media server? As an aside, he would not need any agent licence for AD if he does not need to restore individual AD objects

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

That is a very valid point I missed on clarifying pkh

The Application and Database Licence is implemented per instance per server basis.

So if you have 2 or more applications on the same server like Exchange & SQL or Domino and SQL, etc you would need the same number of licences as the number of applications installed.

Having said above, multiple instancing of the same application like SQL (2000 / 2005 this is Supported) or Oracle (8 / 9multiple instance not supported for oracle backups due to other technical reasons) would require only 1 Application and Database Licence.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Hi Jaydeep,

Thanks for the clarification.  The licencing model is just like the previous versions of BE before all the agent licences are merged into one.  If this is BE 2010 or earlier, the user would need to buy both an ADRA and a SQL licence for his Server 2, and a SQL licence would not activate the AD agent functionality or vice-versa.  I think the confusion lies on the fact that the BE 2012 agent licence activates all the agents' functionality.

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Agreed, it does activate all the the supported or included agent options in the Application and Database Licence when it is installed.

But it still works like the previous versions, 1 Application = 1 QTY Licence so on Server 2 he would need 2 qty licences. This is why I suggested to use Active Directory GRT on Server 1 ( instead of Server 2) so he does not have to purchase RAWS for that server 1.

If he activates GRT for AD and also backs up SQL from Server 2 then he would need a seperate RAWS Licence for Server 1 only to backup the System State.