cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Dedup question

Thunderb1rd
Level 3

I'm looking to set up an offsite copy of my dedup backups. I know the local copy requires a local drive, if I use Backup Exec to copy the dedup data to another location what are the requirements needed?

Does that also have to be a local drive, or iSCSI? what are the bandwith requirements?

I'm looking to use a local iSCSI NAS for onsite backups and replicate it across a 10 Meg pipe to another NAS (non ISCSI).

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot just copy the dedup folder.  See this document

Reasons why copying backup to disk data files is NOT recommended.

Although it is written for B2D folders, it is equally applicable for a dedup folder.  If you want to have a backup copy of the backup sets in your dedup folder, then you need to duplicate them to another media

If you want to backup the dedup folder as a whole for DR purposes, then you need to backup the shadow copy component of the disk containing the dedup folder.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187911

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot just copy the dedup folder.  See this document

Reasons why copying backup to disk data files is NOT recommended.

Although it is written for B2D folders, it is equally applicable for a dedup folder.  If you want to have a backup copy of the backup sets in your dedup folder, then you need to duplicate them to another media

If you want to backup the dedup folder as a whole for DR purposes, then you need to backup the shadow copy component of the disk containing the dedup folder.  See this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187911

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

Purpose is to have a copy of dedupe --

- setup duplicates to Tape/Disk/Another Dedupe folder on another media server (this would require a CAS MMS configuration and dedupe folders will have to be shared)

- To Backup the dedupe folder entirely back it from Shadow Copy Component to B2D/Tape. These disk can be local, ISCSI or even FC connected or can be a share on the NAS.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Thank you for confirming what I have said.

Note that you can also duplicate the contents of a dedup folder to any tape or disk media on the same media server, not necessarily on another media server.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...can you supply the TN that states this with regards to tape? AFAIK you need SAN SSO with CASO to do this and it won't work with SAS/SCSI-attached tape drives...

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If I am not mistaken, you also cannot duplicate to a disk device that is attached to another media server, regardless of whether CASO is used or not.