cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 Deduplication to second server

martynbez
Level 2

Hi all,

Just in the process of setting up new version of backup exec and was told we could dedup a job to a second server. So for example:

Backup run to dedup folder on server1

job finish then dedup to another dedup folder on server2

Now I have set server 1 up with dedup and that does a job fine. I cant seem to install a dedup agent or folder to the second server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For duplication of dedup data in CASO environment, both CASO and MMS servers must use 64-bit version of Windows Operating System. 

CASO and SSO are part os Enterprise server option.

While installing BE on second server choose to install Managed Media Server.  Create dedup folders on both central and managed media servers.

Creating a duplicate job of dedup data with another dedup folder as destination will automatically sets up the Optimized duplication.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

By second server you mean another media server. 

Are you using a CASO - MMS setup?

teiva-boy
Level 6

WIth two media servers

Two Dedupe licenses

and the CASO option.

What you've described is possible.  

CASO is the secret sauce here.  It allows the two media servers to be managed from a single place.  Allowing you to duplicate a job from one media server to another.  Without CASO, the media servers are "islands," of data.

martynbez
Level 2

Yes thats right another media server.

So my understanding is the CASO will manage the second server to?

I will have to install backup exec in full on server2 and let server one manage it and dedup?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What you are trying to do is called optimised duplication.  After your backup job, you duplicate the backup set to the other dedup folder.

martynbez
Level 2
Yeah i have found the way to do that just need to know how and what needs to go on the second media server.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For duplication of dedup data in CASO environment, both CASO and MMS servers must use 64-bit version of Windows Operating System. 

CASO and SSO are part os Enterprise server option.

While installing BE on second server choose to install Managed Media Server.  Create dedup folders on both central and managed media servers.

Creating a duplicate job of dedup data with another dedup folder as destination will automatically sets up the Optimized duplication.

martynbez
Level 2

Ok got it now. Would help if we had purchased the CASO to go with it. sad

Is there another way it could be done?

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No other way.

Because a media server can have only one dedup folder. More than one media server can't be managed centrally by one server without CASO.