cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - P2V on ESXI Free Edition

rdstack
Level 3

Greetings,

I am wondering if I can use the P2V feature in Backup Exec 2012 to the free edition of ESXI 5.0. I have tried to run the job to accomplish this but it errors out with the message below. 

"Convert Server to Virtual 00001 -- The job failed with the following error: Failed to authenticate with the target server required for creating a standby copy.  Verify that you are using the correct credentials to access the target server."

I did find a few items while Google searching that the free edition needs to licensed for VDDK APIs. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks,

R. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rdstack
Level 3

Just to verify, in the link it states

"Retype the password for the service credentials and restart the services. - for all the backup exec services in the Services MMC?

Then retype the password for the System Logon Account (these actions should reference the same account)." - I am assuming this is refering to the account on Backup Exec under Configuration and Settings - Logon Accounts - Manage Logon Accounts

Are my assumptions correct?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello rdstack,

Yes.ESX needs to be licenses for P2V option to work in BE 2012. VMware requires that the ESX/ESXi server be licensed for VDDK APIs to work correctly. VMware's VDDK APIs are used during the P2V conversion to ESX/ESXi server. With ESX/ESXi Free License edition, VDDK APIs won't work and a "Host is not licensed for this feature" error will be seen.

Thanks,

-Sush...

rdstack
Level 3

Which license gives me the VDDK APIs? I already have VMware vSphere 5 Enterprise license on the server with the feature set below. 

Up to 8-way virtual SMP
    vCenter agent for VMware host
    vStorage APIs
    VMsafe
    vSphere HA
    Hot-Pluggable virtual HW
    vMotion
    vSphere FT
    vSphere Data Recovery
    vShield Zones
    vSphere DRS
    Storage vMotion
    MPIO / Third-Party Multi-Pathing
    Remote virtual Serial Port Concentrator
    Shared Smart Card Reader

Sush---
Level 6

Hello rdstack,

"vStorage APIs" this is the license that is required as BE uses VStorage APIs for P2V.

Other than license I think you issue is moreover related to the account.

Please refer to this technote

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH187951 : Standby Copy job fails with "0xe000a450 - Failed to authenticate with the target server required for creating a standby copy. Verify that you are using the correct credentials to access the target server."

Thanks,

-Sush...

rdstack
Level 3

Just to verify, in the link it states

"Retype the password for the service credentials and restart the services. - for all the backup exec services in the Services MMC?

Then retype the password for the System Logon Account (these actions should reference the same account)." - I am assuming this is refering to the account on Backup Exec under Configuration and Settings - Logon Accounts - Manage Logon Accounts

Are my assumptions correct?

Sush---
Level 6

Yes. Both the assumptions are right.

Thanks,

-Sush...

rdstack
Level 3

Well I have a new error message

Convert Server to Virtual 00001 -- The job failed with the following error: Failed to get the credentials for the target server from the logon cache.

Any ideas?

rdstack
Level 3

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH197922

You have to run it from the media server not CAS.