cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 and 2008 R2 RODC

swixt
Level 4

hi, just installing BE 2012 14Sp1 on an RODC and am discovering this won't work.  if i have no other SQL Server at this site i won't be able to use it?

i have a 2010R3 Server running in another office that handles 4 Servers and is running great.  unfortunately the office are only connected through a VERY small bridged network so i can't backup over the WAN.

any suggestions on a solution?  i have the tape drive in the branch office RODC server.

thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

if i have no other SQL Server at this site i won't be able to use it?

Correct!

You will have to select an SQL instance running on different computer while installing BE on a RODC.

swixt
Level 4

do you recommend it be in the same branch office?  i am assuming that when i add more servers i can't have them all pointing to one SQL Server in the Main office.  the database size would be quite large.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

do you recommend it be in the same branch office?

Yes, i prefer to have it in the same office (LAN to be precise) as media server.

swixt
Level 4

hmmm.... i don't think we'll be able to come up with another server just to run SQL on for BE.  :(

swixt
Level 4

any other way to do this??

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There aren't any other options apart from either choosing a remote SQL instance if installing Backup Exec on a RODC, else choose to install Backup Exec on a non-RODC system.

swixt
Level 4

could i install SQL express to another machine or perhaps virtualize it on that same Server.  it is the only server in that location unfortunately so having another just for SQL isn't likely to occur as this is 1 of 4 installs that need to be done this way.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Installing SQL Express on another workstation won't work...you need to install SQL Express locally or a full version of SQL on a server.

What OS is the media server running? if Windows, I suppose you could invoke Hyper-V if it runs on an RODC and then install a media server as a VM...as long as it doesn't backup to tape it should be OK (not recommended by Symantec though). Or installing full SQL on a VM...

Thanks!

swixt
Level 4

Media Server is 2008 R2 which is the RODC as well with Tape drive installed.  Why won't the express work on another machine?  there is only one server in the remote branch.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

SQL Express is SQL Lite...therefore has none of the features that SQL does in a full installation. This is by design...it is also by design that BE cannot use a remote SQL Express instance...it is essentially application-limited and stand-alone.

Thanks!

swixt
Level 4

well, i suppose i'll have to come up with another solution.  any recommendations to do some Tape Backups on the RODC?

thanks

corylock
Level 2

swixt- were you able to figure anything out? I'm running into the same situation. I have branch offices where I had servers with tape drives. I had them set up as a w2k3 domain controllers. I am upgrading the domain now and am setting them all up as w2k8 rodc's and am running into the issue of not being able to install backupexec. I've been trying to configure a central SQL 2008 R2 server and point all of the backupexec servers to that but I can't get it to work. Very frustrating! I kinda like the idea of running a VM using HyperV. Did you try that route?