cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 and working with Backup Exec 11d and ArcServe Products

peter_siffredi
Level 2

Hi,

We're looking at implementing Backup Exec 2012. Is this product fully backwards compatible with Backup Exec 11d?

Can I also use it to restore my backup data on tape and disk from ArcServe 16.5?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Sorry for only replying now Peter, I only came across this...

You can try to restore using BE...but if it doesn't work, you have a long road ahead to get this done...you'd have to look at downloading ARCserve 16.5, merging all those tapes into the database, and then restoring the data to disk, before stopping the CA services, starting up the BE services, and backing up that data.

Alternatively install ARCserve and keep it disabled until required.

BE would be able to catalog the tapes, but this is the only way to enter the contents and details of those tapes into the BEDB.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi,

1. won't be compatible with BE 11d at all...you would need to upgrade those agents the minute you upgrade the media server (or install it from scratch);

2. I've restored ARCserv 11.5 tapes using BE 2010 R3 so it is defintely possible. Just chck the BE 2012 SCL.

That said, BE 2014 has been released with newer support, and added features that BE 2012 doesn't have, so it is in your best interests to rather upgrade to this. And my answers for BE 2014 stand as well.

Thanks!

peter_siffredi
Level 2

Thanks Craig,

On the Backup Exec 11d side of things, if I have old Backup 11d data sitting around on tape or disk, can I use Backup Exec 2012 to read and restore this information?

CraigV

Shouldn't be an issue. Just check the SCL as this will detail it.

Thanks!

peter_siffredi
Level 2

Hi Craig,

I've read the SCL (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH175581) and see the following lines:

Backup Exec 2012 has support for

CA ARCserve BrightStor Tape Reader 9, 10, 11.1, 11.5 x86-32bit

Presumably my ArcServe 16.5 server data cannot be read by backup exec? I guess that's especially true if my Arcserve server is 64 bit machine.

Also, the admin guide basically says you can restore data from Arcserve tape libraries using backup exec, but it doesn't say whether it can import the Arcserve database and all the accompanying tape information. I.e. if I need to restore data from 3 months ago and suspect it may be on 3 of 30 tapes, would backup exec have all the catalog information on to be able to tell me which tapes have the data?

Thanks

CraigV

Sorry for only replying now Peter, I only came across this...

You can try to restore using BE...but if it doesn't work, you have a long road ahead to get this done...you'd have to look at downloading ARCserve 16.5, merging all those tapes into the database, and then restoring the data to disk, before stopping the CA services, starting up the BE services, and backing up that data.

Alternatively install ARCserve and keep it disabled until required.

BE would be able to catalog the tapes, but this is the only way to enter the contents and details of those tapes into the BEDB.

Thanks!