cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 backup fails after wsus downloads backup.

Suzig
Level 1

I have backup exec 2012 installed on a Windows Server 2008 R2. On this server there is a WSUS server. Every month when WSUS downloads updates for the company the nightly backup begins to fail with the following error 0xe0000f04 -

The job failed with the following error: The Backup Exec server could not connect to the remote computer. Ensure that a Backup Exec agent is installed and running on the remote computer. If a Backup Exec agent is installed, ensure that it is the correct version.There are no other servers in this environment and so Backup Exec should not be trying to back any up. From one day to the next it may say anywhere between 1 and 7 servers exist on my network. I believe it may be looking at my Windows 7 computers and calling them servers. I am not sure of this. When I look at the backup sets I can see that my files have been backed up so I am not sure why this would be called a failure. The nightly backup begins to take longer and longer every night until it is so long that the job times out at 6 hours. These are differentials so should only take about an hour to run. Once I release and install Windows update and restart the server all goes back to normal function and all jobs finish in a timely fashion. I have lived with this issue for the past few years and learned to release updates quickly but now it seems Microsoft is releasing updates more then once a month and so I am having more frequent issues. When a job fails it is marked as bad and so any other job that runs after these failed ones until a good one is run are marked as dependent on the last good backup. Which makes sence as you want to ensure you have a good backup set. The problem with this is that it then does not allow these "Failed" jobs to delete themselves when they should and are filling up my Backup Drive space. Does anyone know how to fix this strange behavior?

1 REPLY 1

jurgen_barbieur
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you are talking about several different issues.

the issue regarding discovering new servers is find in the options of backupexec. click on your backupexec icon in the left upside corner, select "configurations and settings" - "backupexec settings".

go to "discover data to backup up" and uncheck "discover servers...." . once disabled, it will never check for server in your environment.

the problem with wsus could be that wsus is using ports, that backupexec needs to backup. Even if the server backups itself it is using some ports to communicate.

as your data of wsus grows, your backup will grow and also the time needed for backup.

bu the main questions are:

- why are you backing up this server with a local installation of wsus beside backupexec? if your server is lost, your wsus will be lost, but your backupexec too. so nothing will be usable.