cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 cannot redirect restore of Exchange mailbox to PST

generaldevices
Level 3

Using Backup Exec 2012, and have been trying to do redirected retores of Exchange mailbox data to PST file. I have Outlook 2010 installed on the target machine (mine). The target machine (mine) also has the Backup Exec agent running on it. When I try to do a granular restore from Exchange 2007 to a PST file, I get a message saying:

Final error: 0xe00003c4 - To redirect Exchange mailboxes to PST files, Outlook 2003 or later and the Backup Exec Agent for Windows must be installed on the server to which you are redirecting the restore. Outlook 2010 requires the default 32-bit installation

This despite the fact that both Outlook and the agent are both installed on the server (my computer) to which I am redirecting the restore. What else can I try?

13 REPLIES 13

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you have the Exchange 2007 management tools installed on the Media Server ?

generaldevices
Level 3

No, I do not. I have never needed it installed for my backups/restores.

For what it's worth, I do have the Exchange 2007 management tools installed on the target (PST restore) machine.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Exchange Management Tools is a requirement to have. See this Technote:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51740

generaldevices
Level 3

Is this needed even with the Exchange agent installed on my Backup Exec 2012 server? Just curious as I've not had problems with doing backups in the past for my Exchange 2007 server.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is exchange installed on your Backup Exec 2012 server ?

If not, then the Exchange tools are required. I have seen that without the tools the backup runs fine, but restores fails.

Make sure to install the exact same version as on the Exchange server (same service pack and rollup pack).

generaldevices
Level 3

OK. I have installed the Exchange Management tools (the same level as my Exchange server) on my Backup Exec server, but still no joy in restoring...

Same message still.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are you restoring to the backup exec media server ?

generaldevices
Level 3

No. I am redirecting the restore to a PST file on a different computer, which does incidentally have Outlook 32-bit 2010 and Backup Exec Agent for Windows installed on it.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Not sure if it is required, but is there an outlook profile configured ?

Check if the Backup Exec Remote Agent service is running.

Just to test, is it possible to redirect a restore (of a simple file) to your server ?

generaldevices
Level 3

There is an Outlook profile configured, the Backup Exec Remote Agent is running, and a simple file is able to be restored my target computer with no problem.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Another option can be to try another Outlook version.

Otherwise contact Symantec Support, they may be able to gather some extra info about your environment.

generaldevices
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestions.

Been trying to open a case with Technical support since yesterday, but each time I go through the process, on the last step to file my case, I get

MySupport Application Error

The MySupport application has encountered a program error. You can either try again or contact  Symantec Technical Services

Thank you for your patience.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can also contact Symantec Support by phone, for the number of your country see here:

http://www.symantec.com/support/techsupp_contact_phone.jsp