cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 on windows 2000?

hankycheng
Level 2

Hi all

Now our environment have Windows 2000 server but will not be upgrade in short term. If we want to use Backup Exec 2012, how to backup Windows 2000 server? Can we use old version agent (Backup Exec 2010 R3) to connect to Backup Exec 2012 run the backup jobs? Need solution with Tks!

Tks

Hanky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...hanky: check my answer to the post below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/if-we-changed-backup-exec

...see if you can downgrade your license from BE 2012 to BE 2010 R3 for now. Explain to the licensing department there are some Windows 2000 Server servers that can't be decommed yet, and that this is an interim step.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Usually Backup Exec is 1 version backward compatiable (only for RAWS)

You may install BE2010 R3 RAWS on the WIn 2000 server and than try to take a backup.

But its always recommended to have RAWS and Media server at the same version.

CraigV

...hanky: check my answer to the post below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/if-we-changed-backup-exec

...see if you can downgrade your license from BE 2012 to BE 2010 R3 for now. Explain to the licensing department there are some Windows 2000 Server servers that can't be decommed yet, and that this is an interim step.

hankycheng
Level 2

If I want to use Backup exec 2012 to backup windows 2000 server? Is it possible?

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No, agent is not compatible with Windows 2000. Only way is like Amol suggested, is to install the BE2010 agent. But officialy this is only supported/recommended during migration.

Please note that Windows 2000 is also not supported anymore by Microsoft, so third party suppliers (like Symantec) also cannot provide support anymore.

CraigV

...my reply to the post above stands. You need to check out that forum query...