cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 problems

Scottle70
Level 3

Hi all,

I need your help to solve a few problems here. You have to be familiar with the backup 2012 in order to understand my problem. Some of Symantec Backup Exec technicians surprisingly are not familiar with the 2012

1. Under the Slots: The tape was written about 400GB thru the job details but under the capacity it shows 745 GB Free. It is the LTO4 tape. Basically it shows no green color. I called the Symantec backup team, they spend more than an hour without a result. They pulled the log files to take a look at it and they will call me back today but I have not heard anything from them. Surprising after testing to restore a job, I can see the green color under the Capacity tab. This is lame and of course you don’t want to restore the job in order to see if the tape is written or not.

2. Under Backup and Restore and Servers. I see the media server shows up 2 times. I try to delete one in the backup database but it is not successful. Symantec said “I should wait for the hot fix”.

3. Tapes were written randomly without finishing the full tape even you set it as "append to media before moving to the next tape". So I have to change more tapes than I need every week because of this problem. I see some answer online but I am not sure if it is true or not. According to some of the answer, only the first tape was appended full but after that the next tapes are not. I am confused

Thank you for your help.

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Not sure if you have upgraded to SP1a, but this might be a starting point. Bear in mind that if you upgrade, it can't be uninstalled...you need to uninstall BE 2012 completely.

Thanks!

Scottle70
Level 3

Hi Craig,

I am not sure what you mean. We upgrade backup exec 2012 and all of the live updates.

Backup Exec Server Version 4.0 Rev. 1798 (64-bit)

Administrative Console: Version 14.0 Rev. 1798 (64-bit)

If you are talking about the SP1a of the backup Exec 2012, where should I look to see if my backup exec already has the SP1a. If not, should I install it? Thank you.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

It should be under Tools --> Help. Otherwise run LiveUpdate and if SP1a is outstanding, then it will list as installable.

For a complete list of what it addresses, check below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH186717

Symantec would have advised you to install it (they always do so). It is up to you to install it...but keep in mind what I said above. It is not removable...you have to uninstall BE 2012 to get rid of it which is a schlep!

Thanks!

Scottle70
Level 3

Thanks Craig. We have the SP1a already installed on the Media Server.  I am waiting for Symantec to get back with me.