cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 remote agent for windows stuck in "stopping" state

LDean
Level 2

After moving to backup exec 2012 (which, frankly, is much worse than 2010), we are having an issue where the backup exec remote agent service cannot be stopped.  I have read about this issue occurring in backup exec 2010 R3, in this article: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH166866

however that download only applies to 2010 R3, so doesn't help.  One would think this issue would be resolved in the next release, however I am having the same problem.  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

scottt709
Level 3

I contacted Symanetec support but they took so long to get back to me I resolved the problem myself. I ended up having to remove the remote agent from the remote server. Reboot. Reinstall. Reboot then it now seems to have resolved itself. I was finding that after midnight my backups for the remote server would hang, I was getting errors that the information store was not available. When I tried to restart the remote agent I got the stopping problem. My backups are now running as expected.I must agree with LDean though this is pretty poor introduction.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Steve_Kratz
Level 4
Partner

I'll second this one... I frequenlty have to completely reboot the servers that 2010r3 resides on to get the services freshly-restarted (Heaven knows that services never need drop-kicked to get them working again). 2010r3 is about a 1 in 3 thing.

So far with 2012, I've not had a single server allow me to restart all of the services.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Have you tried to kill the beremote.exe process from Task Manager, or through kill.exe?

It normally does this if the system is waiting for something to finish.

Thanks!

LDean
Level 2

yes, I have tried that.  taskkill.exe says it killed it, yet the PID is still running in task manager. 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Get hold of kill.exe and tlist.exe and check to see if it is still running there. If so, use kill.exe to stop the process.

This has been around for a while now in a couple of versions!

scottt709
Level 3

I contacted Symanetec support but they took so long to get back to me I resolved the problem myself. I ended up having to remove the remote agent from the remote server. Reboot. Reinstall. Reboot then it now seems to have resolved itself. I was finding that after midnight my backups for the remote server would hang, I was getting errors that the information store was not available. When I tried to restart the remote agent I got the stopping problem. My backups are now running as expected.I must agree with LDean though this is pretty poor introduction.