cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 with Hyper-V

Kelvin_uk
Level 3

We are trialing Backup Exec 2012 as a backup solution to backup or Hyper-V enviroment.

• Two Hyper-V 2008R2 hosts, about 20 VMs
  • VMs are stored on a Microsoft CSV
  • Backup Exec agent installed on Hyper-V host

The problem is, I can not view my virtual machines? How can I get Backup Exec 2012 to view our virtual machines? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello All,

To resolve the original issue for which this post has been raised:

From the backup screenshot it seems that you are trying to browse one of the hyper-v node, this is not the correct way to backup VM's hosted in CSV setup.

To backup HA VM's on CSV you need to browse the hyper-v cluster name in backup exec and then you will see all your VM's listed.

Attaching below a screenshot from my lab setup, HYPERVCLS is the name of Hyper-V cluster and the VM;s has to be selected from MS Hyper-V HA Virtual Machines. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Have you invoked the Hyper-V agent trial on your media server? If not, do that and you should see your VMs.

Thanks!

Kelvin_uk
Level 3

Hey,

How do I invoke the Hyper-V agent trial?! I have installed the "Agent for VMware and Hyper-V" option on the server....

Thanks.

MrK1024
Level 2

You can't do incremental or differntial backups using the Hyper-V agent.  The agent will allow you to do granular restore, though.

If you want to do anything other than a full backup, you can deploy the agent to the virtual machines themselves and treat them like physical machines.  The licensing of the Hyper-V agent allows you to do this at no additional cost.

Kelvin_uk
Level 3

I'm pretty sure I was told by Symantec that you only need to install the agent on the Hyper-V hosts. Perhaps I am mistaken though. So if you need to install the agent on every Hyper-V guest machine, I'm not really seeing the benifit here...

Currently testing out Veeam too and it is looking a lot better! :)

MrK1024
Level 2

The Hyper-V agent FAQ discusses the limitations:

"Can I perform an Incremental or Differential backup of Microsoft Hyper-V data?"

"No, Microsoft’s Hyper-V VSS snapshot writer does not currently provide any means to perform
incremental or differential backups of online virtual machines. Currently, incremental or differential
backups of virtual machines can only be performed using traditional file-level backup methods of
using a Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems or Remote Agent for Linux/Unix
Servers inside of the virtual machine."

"Do I have to back up the entire virtual machine and files within it separately to recover
individual files/folders or application data?"

"When you create a backup job for Microsoft Hyper-V, Full is the only available backup method."

Sush---
Level 6

The information that you have provided above is limited to only BE 2010.

With Backup Exec 2012 you can perform the Incremental/Differential of VM hosted on Hyper-V host. Please refer to BE 2012 Admin guide for more details.

Thanks,

-Sush...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would need to install RAWS in each VM if you want to do GRT.  With a AMHV licence, you are entitled to load RAWS in any number of VM's on the physical machine which is licenced.  To install RAWS, you only need to push out the RAWS to the remote servers, whether it is physical or virtual.

JimMum
Not applicable

I'm having the same issue.

We have 5 hosts using CSV.

I've installed the agent for hyper-v and vmware option on the server but can't see the VM's.

I've installed the windows agent on each of the hosts. Is this correct ?

jmiles
Level 4

I'm having this exact same issue as well; I've installed the agent on both Hyper-V hosts, restarted the hosts, and I still don't see any VM's to select.

sbora
Level 6

Hello All,

To resolve the original issue for which this post has been raised:

From the backup screenshot it seems that you are trying to browse one of the hyper-v node, this is not the correct way to backup VM's hosted in CSV setup.

To backup HA VM's on CSV you need to browse the hyper-v cluster name in backup exec and then you will see all your VM's listed.

Attaching below a screenshot from my lab setup, HYPERVCLS is the name of Hyper-V cluster and the VM;s has to be selected from MS Hyper-V HA Virtual Machines.