Server 4 = MS SQL

I have 2x Agent for Windows & 2x Agent for Application and Database

This is my distribution of the Agents:

Server 1 (AD) = Agent for Windows

Server 2 (MS SQL) = Agent for Windows

Server 3 (MS SQL) = Agent for SQL

Server 4 (MS SQL) = Agent for SQL

Question:

1. How can you control what licenses are applied to each server.

2. When I add servers it automatically install Agent for Windows...

3. How can you view what Agents are installed per server

Thanks,

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Q1. Yes Q2. Yes, but do not backup the SQL databases. Otherwise, you would be violating the Agent for Applications and Databases license. Q3. If you don't need to restore individual AD objects you just need an AWS license to backup the system state of the DC which contains AD. The term "agent" had been a source of confusion for users. There is only one physical remote agent to load on a remote server. This physical agent contains the capability to backup everything. The capability to backup a certain application/database is also called an agent and this capability is unlocked in the physical remote agent when you install the appropriate agent license on the media server

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

pkh
   VIP    Certified

There is only one physical agent to install on a remote server.  It has all the agent capabilities built into it.  These are activated when you install an agent licence on the media server and this gets complicated starting with BE 2012 when all the agent licences are combined into one monolithic Agent for Applications and Databases licences.

So when you install 1 Agent for Applications and Databases licence on the media server, all the agents are unlocked on all the servers.  It is up to you to manage the number of Agent for Applications and Databases licences to ensure compliance.  You need one Agent for Applications and Databases licence per application per server.  The control of which server gets which licence is manual.

In your case, if you just have your current set of licences, you would be in violation if you backup the SQL instances on all your servers.  You would need one more Agent for Applications and Databases licence.  Either that, or you do not backup the SQL database on one of the servers.

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi, pkh,

Can I control the what license will be assigned to a server?

My scenario is I only have 2 Agent for Application and Database.

But there are four (4) servers. If strictly speaking all these servers need Agent for Application and Database.

By the way pkh, if we disable GRT as I understand we don't staging space anymore ?

Thanks,

Paul

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For AD, depending on your needs, you may not need an Agent for Applications and Databases licence.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-ad-and-what-licences-do-i-need

There is no GRT to disable since you are using physical machines.

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi. pkh,

Thanks again for the insight.

For servers with Agent for Windows. I plan just to a full backup of the physical machines. As I understand everything will be backup including all applications and files.

I don't plan to a do SQL DB level backup.

If  my licenses for application and database is lacking, will BE 2014 prevent me from running backups eventhough I have Licenses for Agent for Windows on that server.

Thanks,

Paul

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. For SQL, the .mdf and .ldf files would automatically be excluded from any backup by AFE. You would not be prevented from doing your backups but you might get a warning message about the lack of a license

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Even if I do Full backup I cannot backup the .mdf & .ldf files ?

What is AFE ?

Thanks,

Paul

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. AFE = Automatic File Exclusion

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi, pkh,

last question.

Since, I have agent for application and database I will be able to backup the SQL files eventhough I'm lacking licenses for Agent for Applicaion and Database on the two (2) servers.

You mentioned, for AD I can just use Agent for Windows license if I don't need granular restore.

Before, wasn't there a separate Agent for Windows and Agent for Application and database?

Now in BE2014, one agent for all features ? If I got this right ?

Thanks,

Paul

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the 2 types of licenses (application and Remote Server) have always been separate.

As explained, once loaded on the media server, it allows the media server to see the respective application on the remote server through the RAWS agent.

If you have 2 servers with databases on, you'd need 2 x Agent for Applications and Databases installed on the media server to be compliant.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. Yes Yes. From BE 2012 onwards. Before that, there is no Agent for Applications and Databases license. Each agent has its own license Yes. All the agents use the Agent for Applications and Databases license

liu_yuxin
Level 2

Can BE windows agent been install in a windows CE system?

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

are agents for RAWS and application for database separate ?

I tried testing the trial version, the only option is Agent for Windows to be installed on the server with MS SQL..

I have two servers with MS SQL and have purchased two agent for application and database.

And I have another two servers one running AD and the other MS SQL, I purchased two agents for Windows because I just need to backup files and folders on these servers ? Will I be able to do the backup?

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Q1

What I meant was, can I  backup the two servers with MS SQL with my license 2x agent for application and database

Q2

Backup my other server running MS SQL with Agent for Windows only ? I just need to backup some files on that server..

Q3

Can you confirm if I can use agent for Windows to backup my Domain Controller?

Thanks,

Paul

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. Yes you can. Install 2 DB agent licenses on the media server to be compliant, and you can backup 2 servers with databases on them.

2. The Remote Agent allows communication between the media and remote servers. The remote server only needs the RAWS agent installed. Installing the DB agent on the media server unlocks the ability to see the database application on the remote server through the RAWS agent.

3. Yes you can via the System State. if you want to backup the AD infrastructure to allow for GRT-based restores from AD, then you'd need that agent.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Q1. Yes Q2. Yes, but do not backup the SQL databases. Otherwise, you would be violating the Agent for Applications and Databases license. Q3. If you don't need to restore individual AD objects you just need an AWS license to backup the system state of the DC which contains AD. The term "agent" had been a source of confusion for users. There is only one physical remote agent to load on a remote server. This physical agent contains the capability to backup everything. The capability to backup a certain application/database is also called an agent and this capability is unlocked in the physical remote agent when you install the appropriate agent license on the media server

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Thanks you very much. This forum really helps a lot.