cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 Backup Best Practise

SoulGod
Level 4
Partner

Just want to run this through you guys.. During my betatest, I realised that some stuff was better to run through the serveragent,
but some was better off runing on the hostagent (Hyper-V).

So - can anyone help me sort this out? I'll write the scenarions I can remember below.
I will be running daily/weekly into a deduplication-unit, and 1 every 4 weeks into a "normal" NAS.

Mail level
Exchange Database
Systemstate
Files
Sharepoint-databases
MySQL-databases
MSSQL-databases

I hope my question is clear!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, using the Hyper-V agent allows you to backup the entire VM and restore from it, or the VM in its entirety if required which is highly beneficial. Your recovery without this would be to reinstall a VM from a template, then restore the data and System State.

To do item-level restores from the applications you'd need the application agent, and the RAWS agent installed on the VMs in question.

The link below includes all the best practices for your applications above...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74626

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, using the Hyper-V agent allows you to backup the entire VM and restore from it, or the VM in its entirety if required which is highly beneficial. Your recovery without this would be to reinstall a VM from a template, then restore the data and System State.

To do item-level restores from the applications you'd need the application agent, and the RAWS agent installed on the VMs in question.

The link below includes all the best practices for your applications above...

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74626

Thanks!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You'll have to lookup how to dump MySQL data out to a file and then backup the file with Backup Exec as we do not have any form of direct backup support for MySQL (EDIT: although if MySQL is VSS aware then the Hyper-V agent backup may protect it for DR purposes)