cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 - Backup Exec Job Engine Crashing Exception code 0xc0000005.

ArtyVark
Level 3

Hi

I have just upgraded our backup exec from 2010 to 2014 - quite a big jump. Mostly it has gone fine.

However the Job Engine is crashing. Daily I have 4 backup jobs running, 1730hrs, 1830hrs, 2000hrs and 2300hrs. The first two overlap by fifteen minutes at the end and the second two are large backups which overlap, the 2000hrs finishes about 0630hrs and the 2300hrs one finished about 0730hrs.

The first three backups run fine but the fourth fails as the Job Engine service crashes. The last time it crashed at 0638hrs.

The event viewer shows

A process crash has been detected.

Faulting application: bengine.exe 14.1.1786.0
Faulting module: segodbc.dll 14.1.1786.0
Fault offset     0xebf0
Exception code 0xc0000005.

I have attached the crash dump to this post.

Anybody an idea why this happened ?

29 REPLIES 29

Fabricio_Domo
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I am having a similar problem.

I do not see any crash errors, but my backup job hangs in one server for hours and hours.

since i have 15 servers in the same backup job ill now proceed to isolate the problem.

it started since ive upgraded my windows server 2008 r2 standard integrations services to meet with the windows server 2012 R2 hyper-v host

maybe in my case an agent update in the virtual machines will solve, but first ill try to run a standalone backup job

System_TM
Not applicable

Just run the last hotfixes for 2014, and now my installation crash with errors about bad directory B2D event 33808, 1026 application error on beserver.exe and process crash even 259.

I give up, I go for a Weeam solution. 

This simply is not worth spending time on, and believe me I've spent plenty of time on the Backup Exec 2012 and 2014 ....sad

ArtyVark
Level 3

After spending hours and hours with tech support we got a new server with 2008 R2 and reinstalled everything.

Its working a lot better. We also found if you change the job engine service (bengine.exe) to restart everytime it crashes in the service properties it also solves the issue if the job engine stopping. Although the bug is still there.

lmosla
Level 6

Hi System TM,

Run a repair through add and remove programs and also make exclutions for BE processes if there is an antivirus program running.

C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beserver.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bengine.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\benetns.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\pvlsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BkUpexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\RAWS\beremote.exe  

abeherm
Level 3
Partner Accredited

ArtyVark, any updates?

i have same issue here..

Amish
Level 2

Facing issue with beserver crashing everyday and backup failing

i had not upgraded to 2012 as GUI was not user freindly

But now when i upgraded to 2014 facing issue of beserver crashing

abeherm
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I've solved this problem for a moment.

I traced all my 20 backup jobs. I tested running one by one backup job. And i got 1 backup job that made beserver crashing.

so i run all the backup jobs except that 1 backup job that made beserver crashing. Maybe this is like a bug from Backup Exec 2014.

Borealis
Level 4

Eventually the same solution as the one abeherm posted worked for me too!!

After a deep investigation of all jobs, I finally found the root of the problem(s) in a duplicate D2T job. I don't know why that job gave me all this "headache" for so long because it was an old one and it has never been caused such a problem in the past. Also, I can't be sure if it was directly or indirectly somehow affected by the upgrade to BE 2014 although the first occurences of the issue coincide.

The jobs are running well for the last 10 days. If nothing similar happens again for the next 10 days I will consider the solution as permanent.

raimar-83
Not applicable

I had a similar issue.

A process crash has been detected.

Faulting application: BackupExec.exe 14.1.1786.0
Faulting module: KERNELBASE.dll 6.1.7601.18409
Fault offset             0x940d

In my case permissions for the TEMP folder weren't properly set. Check if you have read / write / modify (or full access) on your temp folder. After granting full access on my account Backup Exec 2014 worked like charm.

Borealis
Level 4

Hi raimar,

Are you refer to the TEMP foldef where the backup exec can stage temporary data during backup-restore? (Backupexec settings\Granular Recovery Technology)

Also, permissions for which account? Are you refer to the System Logon Account?

Thank you in advance