cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 Management Service

corriessol
Level 3

Hello,

I would appreciate clarification on what the Backup Exec Management Service is for please.

I have read Tech Article TECH142363 : Service Descriptions for Backup Exec - but this relates to Backup Exec 2010.  Does the same apply for 2014?

This service functions with the option “Participate in the Backup Exec product improvement program".

The reason I ask is that I have Backup Exec 2014 installed on one of our servers.  This server also runs our Case Management System.  The vendors of the CMS have tried to insinuate that the BE Management Service could be the cause of some recent performance issues on the server as this service should only be running when backups are active within BE - I am not so sure!

Is there some literature somewhere for this service in BE2014 or can someone provide some info.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You can no longer turn this service off it is now a key component in communications between user interfaces and operational processes.

In fact if you stop it, you will find that the Backiup Exec admin console will no longer start properly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Turn it off...I never used it and did so.

Check perfmon.exe to see what resources it uses, but I doubt that it uses too many available resources to run.

Thanks!

corriessol
Level 3

Hi CraigV,

Thanks for info.  Before I proceed to turn it off, I presume then it's purpose (in 2014) still only applies to Product Improvement Program?

Cheers

VJware
Level 6

Not sure if we can describe in detail, but in a nutshell -

Acts as an interface between the Backup Exec user interface and other Backup 
Exec components

Will give one example.

BEMCLI cannot run if port 50104 is blocked or in use by another service as the management service uses 50104 to start.

Colin_Weaver

You can no longer turn this service off it is now a key component in communications between user interfaces and operational processes.

In fact if you stop it, you will find that the Backiup Exec admin console will no longer start properly

corriessol
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for the further information.

I remain confident this isn't the cause of any performance issue with our CMS, but will refrain from turning off - it has been there since BE was installed on the Server and we had no problems before - just wanted to check on its requirement.

Many thanks