cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 Robotic Library setup-configuration

maronson
Level 2

We have backup exec 2014 running on server 2008 which was not configured properly when I came to the company,  we have a tape robotic library (quantum scalar 50) which holds 26 tapes. How do I configure backup exec storage to to use all the tapes as one big drive of storage space.  Backup exec does show the 26 tape slots, but I haven't been able to configure it successfully.  Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mitch

4 REPLIES 4

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

By default, BE should auto detect the library and use it as one big library.  If your predecessor set up partitions in the library, then you are faced with the choice of continuing to use partitions or to remove the partitions.

What issue are you having?

The problem is that only 2 of the 26 tapes are configure for storage with a total of 1.5 TB usable storage space instead of about 20 TB usable space with the 26 tapes combined. If I delete the partitions, will backup exec re-auto detecIt the library and prompt me to configure all the drives? Also, Can I create 1 partition of all 26 tape slots or does it have to be 2 since the tapes are in 2 different slots on the robotic library? Or should I keep the existing partition?   Besides the partion, is there anything else that needs to be configured?  Thanks

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

@maronson wrote:

The problem is that only 2 of the 26 tapes are configure for storage with a total of 1.5 TB usable storage space instead of about 20 TB usable space with the 26 tapes combined.

• Tapes are not configured, they are simply used.

If I delete the partitions, will backup exec re-auto detecIt the library and prompt me to configure all the drives?

• Yes, BE will redetect the tape library when the BE services are re-started.  No configureation of the tape drives should be required.

Also, Can I create 1 partition of all 26 tape slots or does it have to be 2 since the tapes are in 2 different slots on the robotic library?

• You can create as many partitions as are supported by that library.  Unless you know that you have a need for multiple partitions, I suggest sticking with one partition.
  • Unless your library has some feature that I am not aware of, each tape requires it's own slot.  Tapes & storage slots are a 1:1 situation.

Or should I keep the existing partition?   Besides the partion, is there anything else that needs to be configured?  Thanks

• How many partitions do you currently have?  If you only have 1 partition, then simply keep it.

good day

i am new to backup exec 2014 and im using it with a robotic tape library system from HP. everything was connecteed well and the tapes can be seen. what i wish to know is how do i configure storage im totaly lost and am failing to understand how i can tell which tape is being writen what information and when to take which tape out.

Please may you assist in anyway possibe with documentation or any information. i wil appreciate any response