cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 Throughput

EricLang
Level 3

I recently upgraded from BE 2010 R3 to BE 2014.   I've noticed the throughput on my jobs has dropped significantly, espcially for jobs backing up Hyper-V Virtual Machines.  The servers in question are in a Hyper-V cluster running Server 2008 R2, and the backups are being written to LTO4 tape in a Dell TL2000 connected by SAS.

Prior to the upgreade, my two Hyper-V jobs would get between 4000 and 4800 MB/min, depending on other network traffic and normal variations.

For two days, I ran BE 2014 but with the old agent on the Hyper-V servers.   On those days, I got between 4400 and 4700 MB/min.

Since upgrading the agents, I am now getting between 2100 and 2600 MB/min.  Obviously, this causes my jobs to take longer to complete.

Any ideas if anything can be done to restore the former speed?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if there's an AV installed, check to see if it isn't perhaps actively scanning beremote.exe and if so, put in an exclusion for it.

I take it you restarted those hosts too? Otherwise, have you installed BE 2014 SP1 with any additional patches, and have you push-installed these to your remote servers?

Thanks!

EricLang
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestions.

There's no AV on the Hyper-V hosts, but there is on the BE server.  I'll look into that.

As for updates, silly me.  I assumed that because LiveUpdate said I was current, I actually was.  But it looks like I need SP1, so now I need to install that, update all my agents, and reboot all of my hosts again.  yay.

I'll report back once all of that is done.

EricLang
Level 3

It took a while, but I finally managed to get everything updated and all of the remote hosts rebooted.

No improvement in backup speed.  I guess I'll have to open a support ticket.